CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Cleaned my carbs, bike still stalls once it heats up???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned my carbs, bike still stalls once it heats up???

This is the second or third time I have cleaned my carbs, I kept missing the idle jet but I took them out this time and cleaned them up. The bike hasn't idled or sound this amazing since I have owned it. Went for a 40 mile drive with my buddy everything went great. I let him drive it and I drove his 08 R6 well he drove it pretty hard and it stalled out 3 times in about 5 or 6 miles.... What gives???

Thanks a ton! I am slowly but surly getting everything worked out with this bike.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Tell more detail of how it stalls. Stalls at idle, low speed, high speed?

Check all 4 spark plugs for lean/rich mixture as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Will be cruising around 60-70mph and you will feel it cut out or bog down like I need to drop it a gear. Well then the bike sounds like its missing and its bogs out, then when I pull the clutch in it dies.

Started it up last night and only #1 & 2 cylinders where hot (touched the exhaust) 3 & 4 where luke warm.

What size socket do I need for the spark plug? What do spark plugs run and what brand should I go with?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Well, the fact you have 2 cool cylinders isn't good so something is up. Check the plugs. If they are fouled bad, buy new ones, but do NOT put the new ones in until you find what is fouling them. Otherwise you will just foul the new ones.

I can't remember the socket size off hand. NGK are stock and you can get them at advance auto. Get the cheap ones, you don't need the fancy expensive plugs, they don't do anything for stock bikes.

I think spark plugs come in only 2 sizes (not sure) but I have 2 sockets and the smaller one is for the bike.

BTW check compression if you can while you are messing with the plugs.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a spark issue. like others have said, check to see if you have spark on all four plugs. It can also be a fuel issue. There are two tubes that come off the gas tank underneath, make sure those are not kinked. as they are breather/drain tubes.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM

The 2 plugs that are running hot smell like gas

The other 2 that are cold don't have a smell. ...

All of the plugs look great, not fowled just a light tan color.

Ill check the fuel lines. Do you think having a filter on there is messing things up?? The gas line is slightly routed down before it goes up to the carbs.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 PM

3 checks...

Check for spark on all 4 cylinders. hold the spark plug against the engine with the wire attached to the plug and turn the bike over.

Check fuel; open up the drain bowl screw on the cold carbs, if there if fuel in them, drain it, start the bike or turn it over and see if more comes out.

Check compression

Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM

All 4 have spark. Ill check the fuel today. I am going to double check that i dont have a pinched line either.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99LS1
The 2 plugs that are running hot smell like gas

The other 2 that are cold don't have a smell. ...

All of the plugs look great, not fowled just a light tan color.

Ill check the fuel lines. Do you think having a filter on there is messing things up?? The gas line is slightly routed down before it goes up to the carbs.
I've installed an inline filter on mine and haven't had any negative effects. My line goes downward only. If it has to go up maybe thats a problem as the system is gravity fed.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Pretty sure its sphyfen fed.

Took off the fuel filter and checked all of my lines. Still stalled....

It stalled again, cleaned just the idle jets and it fixed it. Until I drove another 2 miles down the road and it stalled again.

Also I am narrowing it down to a fuel problem. I am getting spark, but im not sure why only 3&4 have a problem. Leaning towards need syncing, petcock is clogged (that wouldn't expalin only 3&4 having problems) 2 bad floats sticking?? When I cleaned the carbs they didn't seem to be sticking.....

hmmm.....

I am going to try to put the fuel filter back on, take apart my petcock, check my T in the fuel line that splits the 1 line to 2.

Is there some type of filter or screen in the petcock? Am I going to have to get a new gasket if I pull the petcock apaprt? Anything I should look out for??? Suggestions???

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cleaned my carbs, bike still stalls once it heats up???