CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Broken Brake Bracet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Brake Bracet.

So, the bracket on the front left of my bike, is broken, its that angled piece of metal that just holds the actuall brake callipers in place.

Now i have a replacement piece in the mail, just waiting for it to arrive non, so i've taked the time to do some maintence/clean up on the bike.

I noticed, that the brake pads are closed up on each other, and that i can't pull them open, atleast not by hand. so heres a few questions.

1) How do i re-open the brake pads, is there like a pressure release valve or anything?

2) (this might sound stupid) When i reinstall the bracket piece, is their anything i need to do to the actual brake itself? like readjust it or anything?

3) how much space does their need to be seperating the disc from the pads? 1cm? less? more?

4) I noticed that it took some serious pressure to unscrew the two bolts that held each end of the broken bracket, is there a factory recommended torque setting? that i should when i reinstall the new bracket?

5) and lastly, i took a look at the right brake, i can't tell, but if the left brake close's up on itself. does that mean that the right brake did aswell? or i guess, closed up on the disk? or is it fine?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Broken Brake Bracet.

off topic but, you weren't riding when it broke were you?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 PM

No, i wasnt on it, but my buddy was

He had just gotten a new bike, and agreed to let me go for a spin on it, so i gave him the keys to my bike (we were parked right next to each other)....however, i forgot to tell him that i had a disk lock on the front.....so, yea...

anyways......anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM

You've gotta open the bleeder valve to spread the pads by hand... iirc.

Maybe not though, it's just easier that way.

You might need a pad spreader, or a pair of channel locks.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Don't open the bleeder. You just need to push the piston back so there's room. You can use a screwdriver to pry them apart if you want, working it from as many different angles as you can. Channel locks would work, or if you have a C-clamp handy you can use that too. You just need to push it back some and it'll fit right on. Every brake caliper ever does this so don't be alarmed. After you put it all back together be sure to give the brakes a pump or two because the pads need to get to where they just float above the rotor. If you don't that first couple grabs on the brake lever, you aren't going to have much for brakes!
You don't have to do anything else, and your right brake is fine. If you were to look at your brake pads when the calipers are mounted, you would think that they are rubbing on the rotor constantly, but they aren't. The pads just barely float over the rotor and don't hardly need to travel at all to touch the rotor. If you do think the pads are rubbing you can go for a ride and see if your rotors get hot. When you stop they they should be cool to the touch.

I think that answered all your questions.