General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fix a broken bar end? Literally broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fix a broken bar end? Literally broken

When I bought my bike the bar end (slider thing) was broken but glued in, yes, nice, i know. I don't think it will just require buying new bar ends because well, it was broken off, the screw and the metal that it screws into from the handlebar basically broke right off. If I remove the grip will I be able to get to the last half of the metal sleeve thing and pull it with pliers or something and can i then replace it or what? Oh, and what actually is involved in this (how do i fix it?) tia

This is a 03 F4i btw.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 PM
NWA
Default RE: How do you fix a broken bar end? Literally broken

Your half of the bar end your are referring to is actually part of the clip on. You will need to drill out the broken off screw and buy a new one. The bar end is probably fine and reusable. Honda doesn't use the sleeve/rubber plug, or at least hasn't used them in a while.

Patience with the drill and you should be set with the cost of a mere screw. (Most honda techs have them stashed in their misc bins, since bar ends are always being bought or swapped out on new bikes. You might ask the techs before you spend your money at parts.)

Good luck
Keith

Old 09-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Default RE: How do you fix a broken bar end? Literally broken

Before you drill, if there is enough of the screw left, you can try grabbing it with some pliers and backing the screw out since there should be no pressure on it unless it was cross-threaded or bent. Aside from that, on the F4i, the bar end threads aren't part of the clip on. It is an insert, but not a rubber plug. there should be two holes on opposite sides of each other at the end of the clip-on (furthest away from center of bike). The insert has two "barbs" that clip into these holes. With alot of spray lube, a couple of small screwdrivers, and a lot of patience, you can push these "barbs" in and slip the insert out. Its a pretty long piece and they are usually stuck pretty solidly in the clip-ons thanks to time and water that has gotten into the ends. Use the screw to pull the insert out while you are pushing the barbs in.