CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike issues. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike issues. Need help

Hey guys. So I was riding the coquihalla last year at the end of the season. It was raining pretty bad and I was starting to get hypothermia. I pulled over at the next rest stop and parked the bike and the wife came and got me thank god. Went back the next morning and someone had taken my tank, Percocet and mirrors. I hope they have bad thing happen to them

anyways. I bought a new tank and Petcock. I installed them and I put some gas into it but it was sounding more like a Harley than a street bike. Ew. I also had to give the throttle a little bit just to have it stay running. That was a week or so ago. Now my bike sounds like it is trying to start and back fires a lot. I thought it was possibly the fuel grade so I through an octane boost in there but I am still getting the backfiring issues.

First of all does anyone know if there is anything that is supposed to be between the petcock and the carbs? Such as a fuel filter or a pump or something. The only time I saw under the tank was after they had stolen the tank and whatever else I am not sure. Secondly is there something I should be doing as it sat all winter in storage to make sure fuel is running right or anything like that. I don’t have a lot of experience wrenching on a bike.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Default Additionally

If anyone knows a lot about these bikes and is in the southern BC area and has time I would love some help. I am in Merritt BC and willing to pay your fuel and we could talk about $$ or some suds

Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Nathan,
You will always want a fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs, so you should definitely install one or else debris might get into the carbs and cause havoc

I'd check to make sure you didn't miss a vacuum leak. I'm guessing the thieves didn't remove it nicely, so they might have cut or ripped one of the little vacuum/vent hoses out. I'm not sure if the petcock is supposed to have a vacuum hose (30) or if that's just a california thing, but check to make sure that everything's been connected, and that there's no cracks or gaping holes in the intake system

I don't see a fuel pump for that model, so we can rule that out

If it's not a vacuum leak or stale fuel problem, I'd check that the idle speed was set. It should just be a little plastic **** on the left side of the bike. See if that helps

After that, we get into the carbs to check for clogged jets and give them a good clean. It's possible that running a used tank with no filter allowed some debris to get lodged in there, so you'd need to pop the floats bowls off and get in there with solvent and a piece of welding wire or guitar string to clear them out. It sounds more difficult than it is, but if you're worried about it, you can always pop the carbs off and take them to a mechanic for a clean (not a rebuild). Removing them yourself will save a lot of money. I know Merrit's not a huge town, but even a small engine shop would be able to perform the work

I'm thinking about taking a run up to the island this summer so if she's still giving you trouble I might be willing to take you up on a beer or two. That's assuming we get summer this year - we've still got a few inches of snow on the ground out here

Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 PM

it does have a vacum petcock. if that is not attached you have found your vac leak