F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

About to purchase a 02 F4I...need help (known issues?)

Old 12-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase a 02 F4I...need help (known issues?)

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, and already I need your help!
I am about to purchase a 2002 F4i with 13k miles on it for about 4k....good deal IMHO.
Anyways, what I would like to know is if there any known issues that I need to look for, or be aware of. Or anything that would make the bike not worth it.....
I am a relatively new rider, coming mostly from the car scene, so I am very new to bike-tech.

I already went and took a look at the bike, but will take a look at it again with some friends who have been riding for a while. So far, the seller has made me aware of only 2 issues.

A) sticky throttle grip (how hard is that to fix)?
B) Something I didn't understand. He said that at one point, when changing his rear tire, someone put it on incorrectly (he said they forgot to put a spacer on the left side) and the bolt made a groove on the swingarm next to the chain.
Looking at the pic, that bolt, hit the swingarm, and there is a hole basically where I drew in the blue. (pic is not the actual bike)
He said now everything is aligned and works properly.

Let me know what you guys think? Comments, is it a good deal, stay away, etc.
Thanks a lot in advance guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3944/304649D687DA4995A2FBD82EAC4F82FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Default RE: About to purchase a 02 F4I...need help (known issues?)

Also, another bike that I am looking at is an 01 F4i...
It has absolutely no mechanical problems according to the owner, but there was
an attempt to steal it. Basically, the owner said he needed to buy a new instrument cluster...
So the miles on the bike don't match up with the miles on the cluster.....

seems slightly shady to me....let me know anything that can help....I would REALLY appreciate it!

Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 AM

Honestly I wouldn't touch eather and I would wait a bit or keep looking. Thats just my 2 cents.....

Old 12-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Retired Administrator

Hell... all of our speedos are wrong from he factory... so mileage is a guessing game anyways. Think about it, from factory the speedo can be 10% off so at 10K miles... you have an extra 1000 for nothing. I doubt if anyone with stock gearing will be 10% off, but that's the rumor.

I'm glad you said that isn't the actual picture, notice the road rash behind the frame slider.

Which bike has a better price for the year? 13k miles on a 2002 is nothing, I have 6100 on my 05 bought in July.

I don't know of any problems with either year, but I'm a fan of the RR's. I've never read anyone complaining about them here.

Good luck with the purchase and post pictures when you own it.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea deal seems pretty ok. like not a rip off or anything.
the blue mark, you figure that's pretty much the only thing that can cause it if it's where you said it was so it's not like a huge crash or something.
as far as sticky throttle grip, clean the grip with palmolive and should be ok...can only be caused from sticky hands...OH I SEE...sticky throttle...you just have to lube the throttle cables...and maybe clean it if it's been gunked...not too bad but tedious. you gots to take off the air box and such to get to the other end of the cable. but otherwise no problem. would be easier of you took off the front cowl, which sucks...but yea lots of work involved but not hard.

listen for the CCTL...
ask him if he's changed his fluids regularly...for an 02, technically he should've swapped his fork oil 3 times already...but at the very minimum, at 12K he should've done it at least once.
if he didn't do this, you can talk him down a bit. to swap fluid at a shop is like 150 per fork.

as far as mileage...it's all good. mine 2002 has 36K of gut wrenching heart throbbing throttle hammered off the line each time miles on it...and it's all good!

run the bike up to 225 until the fan comes on to make sure it doesn't have any cooling issues.

T

Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 PM

Just to let you know, I purchased my 2002 CBR F4i this past November with 5800 miles on it. It came with a new front and rear sprocket, new chain, Two Brothers Slip on, Tinted windshield, Frame Sliders, No scratches on the plastic and a couple months old Icon Motorhead Leather Jacket. All for $4000. Since its winter time, I think you could get a better deal on the bike. Not a bad deal though, but it could be better.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM

oh yea dude...you need new sprockets and chain...and check the tire too...
oh yea...and it'll be needing new spark plugs too...and new fuel filter (total pita)

Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM

wow guys, thanks a lot. A lot to think about.
BTW, when i said the mileage is off, I don't mean the speedo....I meant like it shows
20k miles instead of actual 10k.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 PM

yea that's the part that sounds fishy. usually you don't want to deal with a bike like that you know?
but if it's track and all, it's all good.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:55 AM

probably gearing ratio

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to purchase a 02 F4I...need help (known issues?)