CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

91 CBR 600 F2 Wiring Problems (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EPFD112
Question:

When I flip the turn signal switch, should it snap back to the center position, or stay to the side until I turn it off? Mine snaps back to center.
With most motorcycles, you have to manually cancel the signal, by pressing in to the center, or nudging it back the other way slightly - that is the case with both of my F2s.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
With most motorcycles, you have to manually cancel the signal, by pressing in to the center, or nudging it back the other way slightly - that is the case with both of my F2s.
Was wondering why it pushed straight in. Makes sense now. Gotta wait on my new rear turn signals to arrive (bike came with none installed) before I can begin diagnosing what's wrong with them. But I'm pretty sure it's the relay, as it was pretty corroded when I pulled it out.

NEW QUESTION:
Need help finding the ECT sensor so I can test it, and my temp. gauge to see what's wrong with that system. The diagram in my repair manual shows it in the general area of the upper left corner of the engine/radiator, but for some reason, I'm having a hard time locating it on the bike, and it's driving me nuts. So if anyone could give me a detailed position of it, that would be amazing!

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:59 AM

Answered my own question. Located it on the right side of the engine near the thermostat assembly. The problem is indeed the ECT sensor, as I have continuity throughout the wiring, and the gauge moves as it should when the wire is grounded out.

When I tried to unscrew it from the engine, it snapped off, leaving the bottom half of it stuck in the engine block, flush to the surface so I couldn't grab onto it. After a few choice words and some serious frustration, I was able to get it by hammering a torx bit into it and using that to unscrew it. Now I've just gotta hope no metal shavings fell into the coolant.

Broken sensor:

Going to order one today when I get the chance.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Alright, so I've been pulling late nights after work, trying to get some work done on my bike. The vinyl decals that some previous owner had put on the bike were all peeling off, so I decided to pull them off, sand the fairings down, and just spray everything flat black for the time being. Not the look I want, but all I can afford for now. Hopefully in a few months, if she's running alright, I can order one of the Ebay fairing sets and install it, as my current plastic is pretty trashed. But it's good to learn on for now.

Also.. got my old shattered cluster held together temporarily, using some jb weld, a drill, and some zip ties. Not pretty, but it'll work for the next few weeks until I can order a replacement of some sort.

Looking into a trail tech vapor computer, and have some questions about it. Posting a new thread to try and get more answers on that front.

Question:
My bike is missing the drain, and vent hoses from the bottom of the gas tank. It seems to run fine without them. Should I bother going to auto zone and picking up some quick replacements? Does it matter?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also.. got my old shattered cluster held together temporarily, using some jb weld, a drill, and some zip ties. Not pretty, but it'll work for the next few weeks until I can order a replacement of some sort.

Looking into a trail tech vapor computer, and have some questions about it. Posting a new thread to try and get more answers on that front.
On that subject, I was looking last night at the "meter case" that I told you about (white plastic cluster base), and though mine is definitely in far better shape than yours, I was reminded that, one of the circular mounting bosses, where the bolt, sleeve, and rubber grommet mount the casing to the fairing stay, is broken a little more than I remembered... anyway, I'm not even going to bother estimating shipping on it - even if I sold that to you for only $5 or $10, once you add in any shipping, it would just make since to get a brand new OEM part for $50.

Question:
My bike is missing the drain, and vent hoses from the bottom of the gas tank. It seems to run fine without them. Should I bother going to auto zone and picking up some quick replacements? Does it matter?
Well, the smaller one is just for venting, but the larger one is for fuel overflow drainage, so you really ought to have at least that hose draining properly down lower, under the engine and to the ground, and since you'd be going to a parts store, and working in that area anyway, you may as will replace both of them at once.