CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Winter projects

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Ah, I see what you mean. Reminds me that there is a complete 87 about an hour where I live for sale for parts. $150... I so wish I had somewhere to store those parts to save for the inevitable.
Want to know something funny? Those pictures were taken in a 3 car garage. It never has cars in it.

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-27-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish all 3 spots were mine! And I have to park my car in front of the bike. Its really tight, no space...

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
CCT is nice and easy. $50 gets your an APE, which will never go bad. People worry about them loosening off, but its never been a problem for me. But a little red loc-tite on there and just keep an eye on it (and an ear on it) and it will be fine.

What are you thinking for your HID?
not sure what HID route i am thinking of going yet i know i want a Hi-Low, still doing some research on right now to make sure i get something that i am going to like

Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM
June 2013 ROTM

I hear you. My original plan was a 55W Hi/Lo kit from DDM tuning. After doing some research, I decided I would stick with a 35W kit. The difference in lighting is minimal at best, and the draw on the stock wiring is lower. Also, I have read that people have melted the reflectors in their housings from the heat generated by the 55W bulbs.

Also, I was going to order my kit from DDM tuning, but after some research, it seems they aren't the most professional operation out there. See link Ddm Tuning Scam? - Lighting, Security, and Electrical Work - Project Lancer
They just get their kits from China, which is where 99.9% of the kits are made. Sounds to me like they are just slapping a US label on a Chinese product and selling it as a huge markup (nothing new I guess). So I said screw it and ordered a kit from ebay. At least that way I'll have some recourse if it is a bad kit.
I ordered this kit: HID H4 35W 12V 6000K Bi-xenon Hi/Lo Bulb & DC Slim Ballast Kit for Motorcycle | eBay

I'll let you know how it is. But for $35 shipped, its hard to lose.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info, and no not much new there a lot of businesses like that out there. Thats not a bad price, Let me know how that conversion works out for you.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Update: I received the HID kit in the mail today. Everything was there, and seems well enough put together. All the connectors are designed so you can't put it together wrong. Knowing the quality issues these have, I figured I'd bench test it first. I have the battery out of the bike and sitting in the house on the trickle, so I just used a gator clip and hooked it up. All good and VERY bright. Hi/Lo seems to work. Next was to make sure it would work on the bike. Here is where things got weird. When I plugged it into the bike, the light would come on with Hi selected, but turn off with lo (this was weird because its 1 filament, Hi/Lo only changes the orientation of the arc).

This harks back to the problem when I first got my bike, the headlight harness was all burnt out, and after replacing it with a new one, it didn't work. I then looked at the wiring diagram, it seems the harness wasn't wired the same. It shows the green ground to be the middle, with Hi being the right wire and Lo being the left.

Figured the PO screwed it up which caused the harness to burn out. "Corrected" the wiring to the one on the diagram and voila, it worked.

Back to today - after looking at the wiring diagram, with the common ground being the center, and looking at what an H4 should be (Ground on the left, when looking from the wire side of the plug), it seems I have been running with the headlight wired for "4656" instead of "H4".

I will have to rewire the harness, then hopefully it will work.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Ordered my shift kit today. Just went with the basic kit (44.95 vs. 199.95). I was going to wait a little longer, but considering the age of the bikes and the rarity of parts, I have a phobia that when I do get around to ordering it, it will be sold out lol.

Today I am going to go down and start the bike up, maybe do a couple laps of the parkade. Work to do down there anyways, my cage is having trouble idling when cold. I think its a clogged idle air circuit, as there is a noticeable "hiss" from my CAI when the circuit kicks in, then it idles no problem.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Well shift kit came in the mail today... Goddamn there is not alot there for the penny you pay (44.95 + 38 S/H). This thing better make shifting as smooth as a shoe through dog sh-t

Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM

So I have to ask before my head explodes from wondering but did you pay a total of almost $80 for a stiffer spring and a gasket or did the detent arm come with it. Cause thats alot of money for a spring

Quick Reply: Winter projects