CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Winter projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter projects

Hey all,
Just wondering what you guys all have planned for winter projects on your 'canes (if any)?
My insurance runs out on Halloween and I won't renew it until spring, so I will use the down time to take my time (and spread out the cost) to get a bunch of to-do stuff done. My list so far includes:
- Install HID headlight Done! See here
My misses is going to Seattle next month for a shopping trip. I'll probably have this delivered to her hotel and have her mule it back. Canadian shipping sucks
- Shift kit
CBR600, hurricane, jet, carb, tune, tuning, Data by EC997a Eddy Current Dynamometer Done! Seehere
- Rear disc/pads needs replaced. Not sure the best place to source these yet... Done!
- A little LED project I have in mind. I have ordered the parts, just waiting to get it in... more to come Done! See here

Feel free to post your projects here and update them as they happen (or don't!). I'm always curious to see what other people are doing, as it gives me some ideas.

Last edited by CorruptFile; 02-23-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about Race Tech cartridge emulators if I can afford them. Other than that I'm getting to the point that I am going to stop spending money on the bike. I've done quite a bit of work to it and I'm pretty happy with where it's at now. Fine tuning the suspension & cleaning it up cosmetically a bit and I think I'm done.

On the shift kit, they have another option that's not shown on the main page called the Pro shift kit. It comes with the detent arm as well as the spring & gasket that's in the basic kit. The factory detent arm looks like junk compared to the Factory Pro design, and I would definitely recommend replacing it. I didn't have the cash for the evo kit but it would be interesting to see the difference that makes over the stock unit.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by TahoeRider
On the shift kit, they have another option that's not shown on the main page called the Pro shift kit. It comes with the detent arm as well as the spring & gasket that's in the basic kit. The factory detent arm looks like junk compared to the Factory Pro design, and I would definitely recommend replacing it. I didn't have the cash for the evo kit but it would be interesting to see the difference that makes over the stock unit.
I remember coming across that pro kit in my searchings. When it comes time to order it, I'll make the decision of which to go with. Maybe Santa shops at FactoryPro...

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Well today was the day... mothballed the old girl

Dug out the battery to put on a tender. Tank was about 1/2 full. Added fuel stab, rode to the gas station, topped her off and rode home. Unfortunately it is pouring rain here (albeit not "Sandy" rain) tonight so no big ride to end the season... oh well. I'll let her dry out before I put the cover on.

So far, I have got the LED project done, and will order the HIDs next month. Shift kit will probably have to wait until the new year.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM

This winter I was going to fix the front cowl's frame, and make a new front cowl. Also was going to drop the motor out of the frame, do the cam chain and adjuster and see what was causing the rocker tick.

But if this offer I have on the bike comes through, I will miss her but someone wants to trade down to her.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Bent cowl frame? Are you going to use a F1 cowl as a guide for your new one or use a different gen?

And if you haven't replaced your CCT yet, I'd start with that. That usually fixes the noise 99% of the time.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Bike was wrecked long before I got it. The whole mirror stay/cowl frame is tweaked, nothing sits straight on it. I had my eye on one off another F1 and then use polyurethane foam, shave it to the shape I want, and use that as my mold. Make it more like an SV with the front coming back and running until it tapers off at the back side of the tank

http://imgur.com/a/n9Fjf#0 That's what she looks like as she sits. The front cowl had all its tabs broken off, some here still on the frame so I epoxy'ed them back on and reinforced those with a little fiberglass

Last edited by kungfutree22; 11-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 AM

CorruptFile your bike looks like its been sent to the naughty corner in that pic lol.

My winter project is to get mine road worthy, just renewed the brakes all round on it, i've still got some faring repairs to do yet though

Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 PM

For my winter projects i plan on replacing the CCT, the three pieces of plastic on the back, Installing a shift kit probably with the whole shift star, detent arm an all, new tires and going to try and do an led light conversion on the back, and hopefully do an hid conversion on the head light... But just depends on how much $$$ i have during the winter....

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by kungfutree22
Bike was wrecked long before I got it. The whole mirror stay/cowl frame is tweaked, nothing sits straight on it. I had my eye on one off another F1 and then use polyurethane foam, shave it to the shape I want, and use that as my mold. Make it more like an SV with the front coming back and running until it tapers off at the back side of the tank

88 CBR600 - Imgur That's what she looks like as she sits. The front cowl had all its tabs broken off, some here still on the frame so I epoxy'ed them back on and reinforced those with a little fiberglass
Ah, I see what you mean. Reminds me that there is a complete 87 about an hour where I live for sale for parts. $150... I so wish I had somewhere to store those parts to save for the inevitable.

Originally Posted by Dave_Wales
CorruptFile your bike looks like its been sent to the naughty corner in that pic lol.

My winter project is to get mine road worthy, just renewed the brakes all round on it, i've still got some faring repairs to do yet though
Oh it is . Unfortunately it has to be squeezed in there like that, I have to park my car in front of it. I but a board down for my rear tire to hit, rather than my bike.

Originally Posted by C-Kan
For my winter projects i plan on replacing the CCT, the three pieces of plastic on the back, Installing a shift kit probably with the whole shift star, detent arm an all, new tires and going to try and do an led light conversion on the back, and hopefully do an hid conversion on the head light... But just depends on how much $$$ i have during the winter....
CCT is nice and easy. $50 gets your an APE, which will never go bad. People worry about them loosening off, but its never been a problem for me. But a little red loc-tite on there and just keep an eye on it (and an ear on it) and it will be fine.

What are you thinking for your HID?

Quick Reply: Winter projects