CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

valve question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: valve question

Well it is a 22+ year old bike now. I have upgraded a couple of times but managed to keep the old hurricane in the stable. Unlike you it is not my primary transportation. I can understand wanting to move on...but the thought of separating from it brings a tear to my eye. Do what you must.
I just read that over and it kinda sounds like the lines in old yella just before they give the old dog a dirt nap. LOL.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 PM

I know how you feel. I really dont WANT to sell it, but in the interests of parts availability, and reliability, as I dont even HAVE a car of my own, I need a bike that isnt breaking or needing constant mechanical attention to make it run and work properly.

if I had the money, ideally, I'd have the hurricane, as my project/restoration deal, an F3 for a daily rider, and an RR for weekends to do races, and group rides with my buddies. But realistically, there are some things about the 87 that I'm just growing more and more and more to be unable to stand, for one reason or other.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 PM

Well, just to update everyone, I had it back together and it ran ok for a few minutes, then a few other valves got out of whack, so I pulled the head back off, ordered the headgasket, and tore the exhaust valves out altogether to clean them more thoroughly. that wasnt exactly fun to do. but I've got each valve set in spec now on the head sitting in my room, ready to go on the bike with nice pretty clean exhaust valves, and clean combustion chamber sections.

I just hope UPS hurries up and gets my headgasket in so I can reassemble the bike and ride it.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM

How did the seats look?

Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM

everything inside the motor looked pretty good to be honest.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM

I need to do my valves in the spring time, this thread has me a bit worried lol, I was going to take it to honda and have them do a full service. But Im going to run it for a while first, with some seafoam in the tank. Just so im not wasting my time any money.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 PM

if your motor stays running nicely and feels pretty powerful you're ok. mine was a case of it was run to holy hell constantly, and just heavily neglected for the most part. yet surprisingly, its still pretty much ok aside from the valves.

you can do the valve adjustment yourself pretty easy, I know I did. I love doing valve adjustments, they're pretty fun for me. call me weird. I love em.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Well the sound it's making is kinda like a sewing machien tick, my honda prelude made the same sound and it was the valves. After talking to a few people I realise though it's most likely the CCT. That and I need a carb sync bad. So my gut feeling is if everything elese is out the valves are probley out too.
What scares me is i have the same 42 000 miles something on mine, and it was running a bit rich all summer.
I don't think I have the skills to take my carbs apart etc

Old 01-01-2009, 03:41 PM

if it'd help, I'll do up a "how to" to explain how to service each area of the bike.

carb synchs dont involve pulling the carbs apart, but you will need synch gauges with this weird and kinda special rod that goes into each intake port in a little hole. I'll explain in a how to when I do one on another bike. same principal, just different bike.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

That would be cool, maybe a like the CCT how too? Right now im burried in a ton of snow, so it won't be spring till i even breath on my bike.
But that would be awesome, the repair manual is good, but it doesn't let you know the finer points, and the little trick to look out for

Quick Reply: valve question