CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

valve question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: valve question

when i had my motor out, i used a dremel with flexible attachment and a wire brush to clean out the exhaust ports. i just made sure the valves were closed on the cylinder i was working on. i did clean out lots of carbon.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:16 PM

I was thinking that would work well, but I didnt want to try it, screw up my motor and have to replace a lot of expensive parts I cant afford to replace right now on my sole transportation. thanks man, I think I'll truck on down to walmart and snag up a brush soon.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:17 PM

www.chemnol.com.pk/marine_deisel_ocd4_liqcon.php?marine This is the cleaners web site. No doubt getting all the build up will help.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM

I'm sorry if this is off topic, but can you replace the valves with titianium ones, like on race bikes? Do you know of anywhere that makes them for hurricaines?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM

I'm quite sure you COULD, but you'd probably need them custom made, and thats not cheap.

On a side note, I used the cam and rotated it to open each valve set on the exhaust side and took a fine exacto knife like scraping tool, and took a very large quantity of white carbon buildup off everything in there. WOW. didnt realize tehre was so much in there. it was probably not letting my valves seat correctly, so it needed a thorough cleaning.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:31 PM

With that much crap in there its no wonder you were experiencing power loss! I suspected the build up when you started describing the problem. Are you replacing the head gasket?
A lot of aftermarket parts suppliers have dropped the Hurricane from their catalogs... so big bore kits, aftermarket exhausts, and specialty parts such as titanium valves are getting difficult if not impossible to find off the shelf.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:26 PM

in response to the guy looking for titanium valves, yes there are titanium valves for the cane but yes it is very hard to find them. try orientexpress.com. In respons to th thread, If you remember not that long ago, you posted a thread about adjusting your valves HR. and in that post I told you that by putting you adjustment in the middle instead of putting them at the tightest spec that you would have a lot of problems in the future. I'm not raggin on you dude, just sayin, valves have to be adjusted to the tightest spec so you have room for them to loosen on there own over time and prevent this type of damage from happenig so soon. you usually don't see this much carbon buildup until 20-30,000 miles.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:26 PM

Is a head gasket replacement NECESSARY if the one in there is working fine? or can I slide without buying a new one?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Normally I would say yes. Replace it. If you are on a really tight budget and didnt damage it during removal you might get away with reusing it. I would replace it. Its a lot of work to go through again if you get a coolant leak. Also beg, borrow or steal a torque wrench for reinstallation of the head and follow the correct tightening pattern.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 PM

I WILL be using a torque wrench. this is pretty much my transit, and I'm on pretty much a very very limited budget. I didnt even TOUCH the headgasket aside from sliding it off to look at the cooling passages beneath it, and carefully put it back.

27 ft-lb of torque on each nut for the head, 9 ft-lb on the cam cap bolts, and the tightening pattern will be followed to the letter.

Quick Reply: valve question