CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know of any write ups of how to the wheels off the bike to change tires? i searched here and i cant find any!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benchod
anyone know of any write ups of how to the wheels off the bike to change tires? i searched here and i cant find any!
There's a sticky at the top of this forum where you can download the factory service manual. It is, however, pretty straightforward. Pull axle, slide wheel out. You have to unbolt the brake calipers on the front because the wheel won't slide out between them. Other than that, just make sure that you don't force stuff when you put it back together.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benchod
Basically yeah, what heresolong said. The front is really easy, the rear can be a bit of a pain to do if you are installing it alone. I've had the rear go in in 5 minutes before, other times, 20. Just a couple tips:
- Don't let your front calipers hang by the brake lines. Use some thing rope/twine/bent coat hanger or wire to hold them up.
- If you have some thin wedges or something to throw in between your brake pads, it can make your life a whole lot easier if you accidentally hit the brakes with the wheel out.
- Check all your bearings when you take the wheel off.
- Clean your axles and relube them! Alot of people don't do this. You will get dirt and crud on the shaft, and when that dirt is spun on, it will score the axle to hell.
- Make sure you get the rear on straight. I've heard of guys just using the chain side of the adjuster to tighten the chain, and just setting the brake side where ever.
- Take it easy on new tires. Scrub them in for a 100 miles or so before really pushing them

Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM

I wore out my last set of Pirelli Rosso 2's (110/70 and 140/17) and put on Dunlop GT 501 in stock sizes....not nearly the same grip and confidence level, especially over road lines and in the wet. Just put new Pirelli's back on and am much happier. Also, the front Pirelli was 2lb 10 oz lighter than the Dunlop, the rear 4 lb 10 oz lighter! Feels like I have fancy lightweight wheels with the Pirelli's- turn in is fantastic and the rear spins up much easier. You do lose some side stand clearance, however. The radials trounce the bias-ply everywhere, every time.

The following users liked this post:
Anvian (09-11-2023)
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Settled on the Bridgestone Battleax BT-45. They come in the sizes I needed and I was able to go up one size to a 140 on the rear which was what I really wanted.

I LOVE THEM. Sorry, got a little excited. They handle great in the corners, smooth down the straights. Couldn't be happier. It's like a whole different bike compared to the OEM Dunlops that were on it when I got it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Hi all, i am to in need of new tires for may 87 Cane and i was thinking of going for
Michelin PILOT ROAD 2 FRONT 110/70 ZR17
Michelin PILOT ROAD 2 REAR 150/70 ZR17
its the fist time i by tires for this bike and i am not sure with what to go.
i am the type of person that likes to cruse tho for the most part i like to pin it the bends and having fun as the back steps out.
Any thoughts on the mater?
All help is appreciated.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lind Chrisalos
Hi all, i am to in need of new tires for may 87 Cane and i was thinking of going for
Michelin PILOT ROAD 2 FRONT 110/70 ZR17
Michelin PILOT ROAD 2 REAR 150/70 ZR17
its the fist time i by tires for this bike and i am not sure with what to go.
i am the type of person that likes to cruse tho for the most part i like to pin it the bends and having fun as the back steps out.
Any thoughts on the mater?
All help is appreciated.
I'm running those sizes on my conti's with no problems. Different tires are shaped different, but there is tons of space for wiggle room.
Pr2's are good tires , I'd say go for them

Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
I'm running those sizes on my conti's with no problems. Different tires are shaped different, but there is tons of space for wiggle room.
Pr2's are good tires , I'd say go for them
Is it sure that the 150 wil not make the ride unstable or have any conflict with clearance?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
June 2013 ROTM

150 is fine. No clearance issues. They aren't unstable at all

Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
150 is fine. No clearance issues. They aren't unstable at all
Got to ask, do you have the stock mud and chain-guard? I am running them so i am afraid it might get tight.

Quick Reply: Tire sizes