CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Tire sizes

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome to hear. I didn't want to be out a ton of money and find out they were a bad deal. Otherwise I would have done the swap a while back. I will keep this in mind next time though. Thank you for the input.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM

I'm still curious about the comparison between the sport demons and these azaro radials, but I don't plan on changing tires anytime soon. They do have a pretty similar profile though so they may be a lot closer in performance than the pilot activ tires I was running before.

I probably also should mention that I have a modified suspension with race tech springs in front and a fox twin clicker shock with the rear raised a bit from stock. I don't know that it would have any effect on handling with the radial tires, but wanted to pass along all the info if it helps someone.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM

hey im really needing new tires for my bike as the rear has slipped on me way to many times, and my front has dryrot, im thinkinbg about getting some duro hf918 front and rear, iv heard good things about these on other bikes but anyone have any experience on them on there cbr? let me know

Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM

i just glanced through this thread and didnt see anyone point out the pros and cons of sport tires vs. sport touring tires..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM

To jaysee:
My only concern with duro ties is their compounds tend to be hard. With is greet for highway miles but not so good for leaning into turns.

To deezul:
The main difference is in tire shape and compound. It depends what riding you will be doing. Touring tires are in general an ok tire for all kinds of riding, but don't have a good shoulder for leaning over, whereas sport tires tend to be softer compound and shaped well for leaning into turns harder.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Pirelli Rossi 2 radials f/r. 110/70 & 140/70. No issues, second set used, excellent dry grip even when cool roads exist (5 degrees celcius ambient) wet weather good, just don't push em too hard.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting ready to put new tires on an '89 that I just got running again. Long story, but it's been sitting for about ten years, I completely rebuilt the carbs, fixed a valve cover oil leak, installed new chain and sprockets, and am going to be rebuilding the forks and replacing or repacking the wheel seals here soon. The tires have Grand Canyon sized cracks so I've just been running it the two miles to the corner store and back at fairly slow speeds to keep flushing the fuel system cleaner through.

Doing the research on tires, I am really interested in the Continental Sport Attacks. They get really high reviews from the Canyon Chasers website, plus I like the idea of the compound they use (they call it Black Chili) which is designed to warm up faster in cold and wet (most of the year here in the Pacific NW). However, they only come in a 150/60. Here's the calculations I did:

Front: Stock: 110/80, 88mm height, 176mm + rim diameter
Conti: 110/70, 77mm height, 154mm + rim diameter

Rear: Stock: 130/80, 104mm height, 208mm + rim diameter
Conti: 150/60, 90mm height, 180mm + rim diameter

That means I'm going to be down about an 28mm in the rear and 22mm in the front. Someone mentioned earlier that this will affect steering but because both tires are dropping a bit, it looks like I will actually only raise the front a bit.

Question 1: Anyone run these tires?
Question 2: Anyone running a tire that short in the rear?

PS They do make the Road Attack 2 in the 110/70 and 150/70 sizes, but Canyon Carvers talks about this one being more suited for heavier sport tour bikes. For the record, I have a couple Harleys that I ride a lot and take on all my longer trips. This bike will be a weekend warrior bike for short fun jaunts up the back roads.

PPS I'm not particularly thrilled with going to a 150 tire, I'd rather just jump up one size to a 140 or stick with a 130, but the Contis come in limited sizes so if they are the best tires for the job, I'm sort of stuck.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by heresolong; 05-27-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM

I think you will find that the 150/60 is designed for a much wider wheel than we have on these bikes. With most of the 150/70 that I've looked up the specs on, the minimum recommended rim width is around 3.5 - 4". The shorter 60 series tire will probably have a wider minimum rim width than that. I ran into this when switching from bias to radial tires, and all the nice lower profile radials are designed to run on much wider wheels than bias tires. The 140/80 Avon radial I have on right now is designed for an optimal rim width of 3.5"

I tried looking on Conti's web site for the rim width specs but couldn't find them. You might want to contact them and see if they can provide specs for the tires you're looking at.. specifically the recommended rim width range. I wouldn't run anything that requires a minimum rim width wider than 3.5" as it can compromise handling.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I use since years 110/70 and 150/70 Dunlop Rodsmart.
Front is a little bit lower
a convenient: the sidestand (angle) closer
a advantage: front a bit lower improves driving in corners (like if you upped slightlythe rear)
150/70 is the only equivalence to the 130/80 in diameter
Even if it is a little bit "clamped" in the rim , the driving is very good (with the Dunlop).
I 'd not go to a 150/60, that will lower again the bike.
At worse put a 140/80 witch will up the rear a little but in that case stay at a 110/80 front, you should n't low the front and up the rear together probably too much driving influence
Best
Patrick from france

Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the Contis are not a good option just due to the limited sizes they are available in. I guess more research.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire sizes