CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Purchasing an 88(I think) Hurricane tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, and one new headache for my project... I need caliper rebuild kits from the front brakes. They drag really bad and surely will lock up at some point of their life. Pulling the pistons all the way out and thoroughly cleaning the bike wasn't good enough.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Banned

More pictures for you all! Today I went ahead and got started on prepping all the plastics for painting! A good friend of mine works for an airline company, and we'll be shooting everything in their shop, using some fancy equipment! Should be nice!

Anyways here's some pics and random chat about it all:

The sanding / bondoing / strucural adhesive process. The bike came with a lot of extra plastics, but they were all in varying states of condition. Some had been crashed, some had been spray painted, some had been spray painted horribly and were cracking due to being left outside all their life. We took out all the damage we could find, roughed everything up, and primered it all!

Some required more work than others. These ones, the black ones are NOT the ones I am selling by the way. The ones I am selling are in better condition, but I think these black ones are aftermarket and are way thicker plastic. I entrust these to last longer than the stock/OEM ones.

All the plastic after being washed off thoroughly, sanded/roughed up, and prior to being primered.

One of the yellow pieces did require some addressing due to how bad the paint had cracked and chipped over the years. No big deal though for the orbital sander!

A large portion of the plastics spread out and drying after being primered. It took a whole can just to primer these pieces alone! I will surely be going through 4-5 cans of primer on all of these alone. Then I gotta sand the primer down, and re-primer!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Banned

More pictures and more stuff to write about:

So I decided to allow myself to put the last few nescessay components to complete the bike on my credit card. Risky, I know, but I just can't stand this bike being incomplete like this!

I purchased tires from www.jakewilson.com, and holy **** they are cheap! $158 shipped for a pair of Bridestone BT-45's! Granted, I used their $20 off promo, in combination with their current $10 off a pair of tires promo... along with free shipping! Woohoo! JW009 is the promo code!

Anyways, the bike is currently having the aesthetic issues addressed, as in the plastics, the tank, and the rims! As the rims were still on the bike, I needed to get the bike up on an ATV stand to remove them. So I pulled the exhaust, put the bike on the ATV stand, and removed the front and rear wheel. The front wheel was a breeze to remove, and the rear also was much easier now that it's been properly greased!

The front forks will be coming off too at some point of this stage. They will be getting rebuilt completley, with all new bushings, seals, and even the dust skirt thinger at the top being replaced.

Oh, and a quick note on the exhaust: I decided to go back to stock as I managed to dig up a stock muffler. This saves me the headache of rejetting, and while performance potential wise this is settling for less than the bike is capable of, I'm starting to run a bit over budget on this bike. The money put into restoring the aftermarketexhaust also just may not be worth it were I to sell the bike.

Anyways, a few simple pics:

The bike, on the ATV stand with no wheels!

Different angle.

My beautiful lilac rims!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 PM

you aint looking to get rid of the aftermarket or stock fairings are you?