New Project Idea - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New Project Idea

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Default New Project Idea

I've been thinking about what to do with the third Hurricane.

The first one is the "RR" conversion that most people here are familiar with.

The second one will be restored as a Hurricane with full fairings.

So the third one was up in the air.

This will probably be controversial but I decided to make it into a trike. In doing some research there isn't much out there on triking a sport bike...but there are some that have been done. The easiest way to do this is to use the back end from a Quad. I'm thinking something like this.

Name:  Image9_zps13a21ccb.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  193.7 KB

Name:  Image63_zpsdefd381f.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  127.0 KB

I did some research and found that many Quads have swing arms that are a very easy fit. I found this 2004 Yamaha Raptor with a blown engine and picked it up for a good price. It has an aftermarket extended swing arm, 3" wheel spacers and a bunch of other parts needed for the trike conversion.

Name:  Front_zps5f50f65b.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  806.1 KB

There are some issues with using a live axle rather than a differential so I likely will fit the rear and test it before going too far with it.

I'm also looking at whether the front could be welded onto the Hurricane to make it a reversed trike which would likely work better, but is a much more complicated project.

I got a good deal on the Raptor so worst case I make some money parting it out. I could rebuild the engine on it, but these quads are not worth much so parting it out is probably the best choice.

I know many will wonder "why". Sort of defeats the purpose of a sport bike. But I am at the point where my back is failing and just can't ride for long on a normal sport bike. I also wanted an interesting and different project to play with. The new shop I am setting up will allow me to have multiple projects going at the same time so this can be one of them.

Open to comments. If there is someone who has tried this I am all ears.

Last edited by dennisgb; 08-26-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

You won't hear why from me. Have at it. I was at a Chip Foose show a while back and MMI brought a Triumph Rocket III with them. Then they had a quad that had an R6 engine in it geared to do 150 mph.

You have 3 bikes, they don't all have to be practical. A suggestion, don't use spinners or big chrome rims like that gixxer has

Last edited by Conrice; 08-26-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Thanks Conrice,

For sure want some better wheels. There are better choices for the 4 bolt hubs, or I could do some adapters to go to 5 bolt and open it up. Would like more offset and deeper look than those two examples. I also want some fenders to make it look more finished.

I have the Raptor sitting on the trailer and can't do much because my back is out...sort of sucks. Brought it home night before last and then my back went out again. Can barely walk.

The Raptor is funny as heck. Pulled the seat off and there are braided lines going to the intake. I think there was a Nitrous bottle on it at one point. Guy said it had all kinds of performance parts in the engine...air filter was in a box with some other parts and was caked with sludge and dirt...I think I know why he blew it up.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:03 PM

Might make into an interesting dragster...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post
Might make into an interesting dragster...

Thinking more of a driver...but you never know.

Name:  SuzukiGSXR2_zps7363f723.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  263.2 KB