CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

HELP: Stuck Axle stud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something like this with an f2. My aluminium chain tensioners were seized on to rear axle. Took out all rear swing arm with wheel in. In the end a boat load of perseverance, penetrating oil, heat gun and hammering with a copper faced mallet overcame the corrosion. Heated the chain tensioner after wd40 until it was smoking then firmly tapped on it. I had to just work at it like this repeatedly and eventually got some movement.

Just try stuff. You'll do it.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dodger79
I had something like this with an f2. My aluminium chain tensioners were seized on to rear axle. Took out all rear swing arm with wheel in. In the end a boat load of perseverance, penetrating oil, heat gun and hammering with a copper faced mallet overcame the corrosion. Heated the chain tensioner after wd40 until it was smoking then firmly tapped on it. I had to just work at it like this repeatedly and eventually got some movement.

Just try stuff. You'll do it.

That's nuts...were you able to salvage the swing arm or was it destroyed by the end of the process?

I don't know if I should just start tearing down the rear swingarm of the bike and eBaying a new swing arm, chain tensioners, etc and just rebuild the rear? I don't know what foot to put in front of the next. It doesn't seem like there are many options for acquiring new parts or aftermarket equivalents. Thoughts on what I should do?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can replace the swing arm, but yours is likely repairable.

You'll want to download the manual to insure you take things apart properly and get them back together. Take pictures as you go also.

If you got the chain loose and can tension it properly and decide to ride it like it is make sure you get both sides of the axel adjusted the same distance. Consider that the crack portion of the swing arm could break loose and cause the axel to move which could be dangerous. I wouldn't run it like that if it were mine.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:19 PM

swingarms are pretty cheap from junkyards and online like ebay, etc.......

Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Yes you can replace the swing arm, but yours is likely repairable.

You'll want to download the manual to insure you take things apart properly and get them back together. Take pictures as you go also.

If you got the chain loose and can tension it properly and decide to ride it like it is make sure you get both sides of the axel adjusted the same distance. Consider that the crack portion of the swing arm could break loose and cause the axel to move which could be dangerous. I wouldn't run it like that if it were mine.
I have a clymer's manual and love it... but I don't know if this is a project I want to take on anymore... losing all motivation now that we found this crack & damage in the swing arm. I was looking over the bike this weekend and seems so tedious to get down to just the swingarm to be able to swap another one... I am debating about scraping the bike as much as I hate to admit that. It;ll need 500$ in parts between news brake rotors, swing arm & hardware, tires, chain & sprocket, etc.

I do not plan on riding the bike in its current condition. The reason we started looking in the first place was because I felt the rear end shift ever-so-slightly on me when I had to brake hard in the rear... its not a good choice. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 PM

not to pour salt on the wound but your axle bolt looks extremely knackered too. The threads wallow out nearest the tensioners suggesting that the bolt either stretched or was overtorqued and had the threads shear off

Old 08-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zachy72
not to pour salt on the wound but your axle bolt looks extremely knackered too. The threads wallow out nearest the tensioners suggesting that the bolt either stretched or was overtorqued and had the threads shear off
It's definitely been stretched or something because you are right the threads wallow out before you can torque it down to spec. I had to apply two washers just to get it to torque to 60ft lbs otherwise it'll thread out before tightening out.

I am thinking of scraping the bike at this point.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you got a picture of the bike that you could post? I'm just wondering what condition it's in that you are thinking of scrapping for what seems like a simple repair (other than hunting down the parts, of course)

Old 08-17-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by heresolong
Have you got a picture of the bike that you could post? I'm just wondering what condition it's in that you are thinking of scrapping for what seems like a simple repair (other than hunting down the parts, of course)
I second that