CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/)
-   -   HELP: Stuck Axle stud? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/help-stuck-axle-stud-156428/)

88caneRR 08-08-2017 04:46 PM

HELP: Stuck Axle stud?

Hi All,
Let me preface this thread a little: I am about 3 years deep into motorcycles and do NOT have extensive knowledge on them like y’all do. I DO however know automobiles inside and out… and that has been my mechanical “expertise.” So working on a smaller machine…shouldn’t be so bad, right? LOL.

I’ve got a 1988 CBR600F that has been morphed into a street fighter. I received this bike from a good friend looking to get rid of it needing some extra cash for his child’s medical bills. After all… I got a pretty cool bike out of the deal for about 1 summer. During this past winter/spring time, I decided to make sure I had my maintenance up to date (oil change, spark plugs, plug boots, air filter, coolant flush, etc) I knew I needed tires for the upcoming season as well.

Took the bike out on one or two “joy rides” at the beginning of this past spring season… and the rear tire / axle moved when I hard braked using the rear brake. (using a rear pitbull stand) Naturally I loosened jam nuts (maybe I didn’t tighten it down to spec) and loosened the axle nut, set the chain tensioners then re-torqued axle nut to 60 ft lbs (made some noises when I was torquing it down..) and then this is when the nighmare started… the chain is TOO TIGHT. Not the end of the world, but as I loosened the axle nut back off, loosened the jam nuts for the tensions, and pulled REALLY hard on the rear tire to get it move forward so that the chain can loosen up… WONT BUDGE. I used a 2x4 piece of wood and some BIG F*KN HAMMERS and pounded on the axle stud & tire trying to get it to budge…again it won’t move a millimeter.

Right now, my entire axle seems to be STUCK and the chain is very tight but the axle won’t move forward no matter how hard I pull or pound using a hammer & wood… I can’t say that I’ve ever been in this position (normally on cars, pounding on sh*t and using a torch will get you out of every jam) but in this position I cannot use either brute force method. What else can I do? Any tips or tricks? I have not tried lubricants as I don’t think some WD-40 or grease would fix my problem right now… but open to suggestion.

I can provide a walk around video showing you what I am working with, as well as detailed pictures an analysis if you can help direct me on some methods to get this sucker to move.

dennisgb 08-08-2017 09:29 PM

Not sure what would be holding this. Once the nut is loosened and the chain tension adjusters are backed off you need to take off the brake retainer bolt as well you didn't mention that...then the rear wheel assembly should be loose and easy to move. Did you take it apart previously?

CaBaRet 08-08-2017 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 88caneRR (Post 1306670)
Hi All,
Let me preface this thread a little: I am about 3 years deep into motorcycles and do NOT have extensive knowledge on them like y’all do. I DO however know automobiles inside and out… and that has been my mechanical “expertise.” So working on a smaller machine…shouldn’t be so bad, right? LOL.

I’ve got a 1988 CBR600F that has been morphed into a street fighter. I received this bike from a good friend looking to get rid of it needing some extra cash for his child’s medical bills. After all… I got a pretty cool bike out of the deal for about 1 summer. During this past winter/spring time, I decided to make sure I had my maintenance up to date (oil change, spark plugs, plug boots, air filter, coolant flush, etc) I knew I needed tires for the upcoming season as well.

Took the bike out on one or two “joy rides” at the beginning of this past spring season… and the rear tire / axle moved when I hard braked using the rear brake. (using a rear pitbull stand) Naturally I loosened jam nuts (maybe I didn’t tighten it down to spec) and loosened the axle nut, set the chain tensioners then re-torqued axle nut to 60 ft lbs (made some noises when I was torquing it down..) and then this is when the nighmare started… the chain is TOO TIGHT. Not the end of the world, but as I loosened the axle nut back off, loosened the jam nuts for the tensions, and pulled REALLY hard on the rear tire to get it move forward so that the chain can loosen up… WONT BUDGE. I used a 2x4 piece of wood and some BIG F*KN HAMMERS and pounded on the axle stud & tire trying to get it to budge…again it won’t move a millimeter.

Right now, my entire axle seems to be STUCK and the chain is very tight but the axle won’t move forward no matter how hard I pull or pound using a hammer & wood… I can’t say that I’ve ever been in this position (normally on cars, pounding on sh*t and using a torch will get you out of every jam) but in this position I cannot use either brute force method. What else can I do? Any tips or tricks? I have not tried lubricants as I don’t think some WD-40 or grease would fix my problem right now… but open to suggestion.

I can provide a walk around video showing you what I am working with, as well as detailed pictures an analysis if you can help direct me on some methods to get this sucker to move.

Hate stating the obvious , but when you undid the axle nuts, did you slacken the chain tensioners the right way, easy mistake to make, just need to get some slack in the chain

88caneRR 08-09-2017 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by dennisgb (Post 1306677)
Not sure what would be holding this. Once the nut is loosened and the chain tension adjusters are backed off you need to take off the brake retainer bolt as well you didn't mention that...then the rear wheel assembly should be loose and easy to move. Did you take it apart previously?

I did not touch the brake retaining bolt... I feel stupid now if this was the case. completely overlooked. I will take a look tonight and if it was that stupidity.

CaBaRet:
Dude, please state the obvious because I am clearly overlooking something trivial or royally f'd this swingarm up. What do you mean slacken the tensioners the right way? I backed off the jam nuts, and loosened the axle nut and now this is where I am at. Is this wrong? I can;t get ANY slack at the chain but I can tighten it up...well not really any tighter anymore.

I'm stttuuucccck :icon_deadhorse:

CaBaRet 08-09-2017 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 88caneRR (Post 1306693)
I did not touch the brake retaining bolt... I feel stupid now if this was the case. completely overlooked. I will take a look tonight and if it was that stupidity.

CaBaRet:
Dude, please state the obvious because I am clearly overlooking something trivial or royally f'd this swingarm up. What do you mean slacken the tensioners the right way? I backed off the jam nuts, and loosened the axle nut and now this is where I am at. Is this wrong? I can;t get ANY slack at the chain but I can tighten it up...well not really any tighter anymore.

I'm stttuuucccck :icon_deadhorse:

Sorry ,what I mean is did you slacken both adjusters at the same time, could have twisted the wheel at an angle and locked it in position:0

88caneRR 08-09-2017 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet (Post 1306698)
Sorry ,what I mean is did you slacken both adjusters at the same time, could have twisted the wheel at an angle and locked it in position:0

Ruh roh raggy... it's possible I did not crack the jam nuts at the same time lol. But I can't imagine that would twist the wheel in an immovable position, especially with brute force (hammer.)

I think I forgot to take off the brake retaining bolt on the rear, but I don't think that would make the axle not movable? I don't recall undoing the brake retaining bolt when adjusting the chain last time either... :(

Any other ideas? (waiting till 5 o'clock so I can take off the brake bolt and see what happens...)

88caneRR 08-09-2017 06:53 PM

"Houston, I think we have a problem. Over."

Took off the entire rear brake caliper assembly, loosened up the jam nuts, and the axle still was not wanting to move at all. So I gave it some persuasion...with a sledge and a 2x4 and got both sides moved up enough to have "somewhat" proper slack on the chain... but the question remains: why will my axle not move by hand?

In theory it should be free... are the swingarms bent? Chain Tensioner bad inside the swingarm? I don't know where to start... and I'm stumped.

Here's some pictures showing the carnage (believe it or not, previous owner had it smashed up pretty good before I did worse..I plan on put a die set on the threads and getting a new axle nut of course..and whatever else I need to machine. Like I said, I know my way around mechanical stuff, just not this damn bike.)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4366/...f21a020a_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4384/...b9220717_c.jpg The face is pretty beat up on this one... 12pt 12MM socket fits very snugly for now. Not opposed to welding one on if I can't find a replacement part.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4418/...2ccdbb26_c.jpg personally, I think this part (whatever you call it) is biting into the swingarm too hard and warped it. Look close at the top, its not a crack but a defined edge now.

dennisgb 08-09-2017 07:08 PM

Your swing arm is cracked and damaged. You should take it apart and have it welded. The damage is likely pressing on the slide blocks that are inside the swing arm and holding it in. They are cast parts that the axel goes through. They are approximately the same rectangular shape as the end of the swing arm. With the damage I see they easily could be locked into the swing arm. The inside of the swing arm can rust and lock them in also.

Did you try tapping on the axel with the nuts on but loose...so you don't hammer directly on the threads? That might spread the metal a little and loosen the blocks. Be careful not to damage the nuts or the threads.

88caneRR 08-09-2017 07:17 PM

what a bummer... I guess upon further inspection it is cracked. I don't know if welding will help in where its cracked though? I'd reckon this unsavable.

I left the axle nut on and tapped on it to try to get it to move, no dice. I left the nut on and used 2x4 and pounded on it, no dice. That C clip or whatever its called is dug into the crack on the swingarm, right? I think that's where I should start, no?

88caneRR 08-09-2017 07:45 PM

WOAH, YOU CAN REPLACE SWING ARMS? Learn something new everyday.. literally thought it was part of the chassis like a unibody car.

Sorry for the stupidity..just never wrenched on anything with less than 4 wheels.