CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fuel Pump Question '89 600

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Question '89 600

There is no fuel pump in this bike. I see what I think is the relay as pictured in manual:
https://imgur.com/hNWM07v
No sign of a pig-tail to plug a new fuel pump in to, and I didn't notice any component with an empty socket that a new pump might plug in to - like this:

Amazon Amazon

I couldn't find any cut wires from harness in under seat location but have 3 cut wires on front of bike with 22", all white. like lamp cord leads that are long enough to reach in fuel pump area...nice:
https://imgur.com/AniFnBt
https://imgur.com/muaLR4w
The color of the wires that were cut are white, green, and blue and no voltage w/ key on between any of them or ground. Wiring diagram shows 2 wires to fuel pump being green and blue. Am I on the wrong trail here?

Last edited by Justice65; 10-12-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added video link
Old 10-12-2019, 06:05 PM

I did get it to run by tying up the fuel line and filling it from a bottle. I could see it rise in filter. I kept filling and blowing - yes, by mouth, the fuel into carbs. I figured if float valves were working at some point I wouldn't be able to fill any more which was correct. Bike fired up w/ choke and will run on choke - 3/4-1/2 choke but won't rev and didn't seem to be running on all 4 cyls. I am familiar with pulling float covers, float and checking pin and seat and checking . cleaning jets. Do you all think thta this is a logical next step or should I try to run w/ proper fuel pressure - which is what exactly? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:46 AM

my 1989 stunt bike had an open pipe and was a cold blooded monster... wouldnt rev past 5k until it was super warmed up. turn your idle up a bit will help... WRT to fuel pump u just would need to trace wires from a diagram

Here is a coloured wiring diagram. hope it helps!

Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Thanks. I did find the fuel pump pigtail so I ordered one and a set of 4 float bowl seals.

I installed airbox, filter and cover and tried again

Moving forward - Found that outside right cyl not firing (cold header), no fuel coming out of that float bowl drain. Pulled carbs and that one float bowl and found it had gotten water / moisture in it and float stuck closed. Cleaned it well as well as float, shaft, pin, seat, and pulled and cleaned the 2 jets and flushed out those passages. Now that carb is filling.

With carbs off I did see where the moisture got in to that cyls. intake chamber. I cleaned that out as best I could and liberally sprayed lube in it, being sure to get lube on to intake valve stems. Tried running again and still no boom in outside right cyl. (I am guessing one or both valves may be stuck - What do you think?)

Next step - check for spark on that cyl. (if no spark, start down that road,), check compression in that cyl. If no compression, see if any valves stuck and if I can free up any stuck valves.

If I pull carbs I should be able to see intake valve stem movement. Same w/ exhaust if I pull header.

Do you think I'm on the right track here? Any advice from your experience is much welcomed.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Update:
Some progress but right cyl. still not getting fuel unless I squirt it in carb.

Have a great spark and compression is 125 cold - by comparison left cyl. comp. is 150 cold.

This is still a carb. issue I believe. It's amazing how good I got at pulling and installing them after a few times.

Second or 3rd time going through them I back flushed fuel rail and had a bunch of gunk and debris flush out so pulled float valve fitting and the little filter screens and flushed all 4 back through fuel rail.

I sprayed carb cleaner through already cleaned 2x main and slow jets while holding vacuum piston open w/ rubber coated plier handle so could see carb cleaner squirt out. IIRC when squirting in main jet the cleaner comes out the needle valve seat / hole, and when spraying into slow jet the cleaner came out tiny hole (s) - there might be 3 tiny holes in a row - in carb barrel angled toward intake on engine.

Looking through manual now, I suppose I should get in to / clean out pilot circuit??

A question - near the main and slow jets there is another brass pipe w/ hole in bottom but no screw slot or hex / place to wrench loose. There is no mention of this part in the manual. It has a hole in it and when I poked inside it w/ a brass bristle from a wire brush, I can feel it poking something. It almost feels like some kind of filter material. What is this part? Should I blow through it w/ comp. air? How is it attached? Pressed in? Should I leave it alone?

All-in-all it's running a little better. I've done as described above to all 4 carbs. Right cyl. header only gets hot if I squirt gas into that carb. That float chamber IS full.

I appreciate any more direction / experience you may have with this, AND your advice so far.

So far I've not had any float bowl outside leaks which surprises me. The condition of (mostly) right carb seal is pretty bad. I didn't pull seals out of bowl plate, cleaned carb. surface where it mates to, applied a minute amount of the black gasket maker- just enough to "condition" the seal. The float bowls have been on and off now 3 - 4 times and haven't leaked yet. 4 seals are in the mail.