CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Chinese SS182 digital speedo installation tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Doc,

Your selling the bike? Dang I can never do that with mine...just too much into it.

What are you asking?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an amazing opportunity drop into my lap in March and acquired an Aprilia RSV Mille for, well, I'm not even going to say how little.

Building the CBR up from the ground was an amazingly fun project and it has been a great bike for getting my 30 year dormant riding skills back. It just turns out I am a big Italian twin kind of guy. Not surprising really as I sort of grew up on Italian sports cars.

The CBR only has about 200 miles on it, runs beautifully and is getting used for weekend fun rides, but the Ape is now my commuter. I know I'll never get back the $4500 or so I have into the CBR, but $3K seems a reasonable asking price. A bog stock Hurricane in perfect shape seems to be valued around $2800.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

well im glad some of you got this cluster to work but i on the other hand cannot i tried the resistance from 1000K all the way down to 680ohm and i cant get the tach to do anything hooking up at either the ecu wire or the one at the front for the cluster with and without the cap. im out of ideas and tired of spending money on a cluster that just dont want to work. the ONLY way i cant get the tach to do anything is to tap the stator wire right after it comes out of the case. i think ill just save my money and buy a CBR600f4i Cluster that i know will work i have swapped many bikes to that cluster with no issues. thanks for the advise Doc just doesnt seem like this unit wants to function, a shame.

Last edited by ambeos5; 06-08-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Sorry that I don't have much more to offer. If I could see a scope trace of the ECU's tach output I might be able to suss out what is going on. It may be that the spurious noise that seemed to confuse my tach is different spurious noise on different bikes. Could also be different signal polarity, or different voltages. I willingly admit I did a whole lot of cut and try with different caps and resistors to get the thing working. Luckily I am in the electronics biz and that stuff is just lying around here.

It does seem a shame that the manufacturer offers no tech support for this DIY product.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Doc i agree it is a shame considering the cluster its self is very nice looking and would love for it to work but the company i got mine from offered no help at all just kept asking about my tire size lol. there arent even any local electronics shop were i live to buy stuff from i have to order that stuff online and wait for it to be shipped if i had access to alot of the stuff i might continue to work on it but as it is i kinow just enough about this part of the electronics to get by so im kinda in over my head here i can only go by what i see other people saying what got thiers working and try that. i would love for the cluster to work because the CBR600F4i cluster is running around 250.00USD were as i already paid for this one. i dont have a scope or i could send screen shots to maybe troubleshoot with you. like i said i think its just time for me to give up on this cluster and goto another one

Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doc B.
I had an amazing opportunity drop into my lap in March and acquired an Aprilia RSV Mille for, well, I'm not even going to say how little.

Building the CBR up from the ground was an amazingly fun project and it has been a great bike for getting my 30 year dormant riding skills back. It just turns out I am a big Italian twin kind of guy. Not surprising really as I sort of grew up on Italian sports cars.

The CBR only has about 200 miles on it, runs beautifully and is getting used for weekend fun rides, but the Ape is now my commuter. I know I'll never get back the $4500 or so I have into the CBR, but $3K seems a reasonable asking price. A bog stock Hurricane in perfect shape seems to be valued around $2800.

$3K is what I was thinking...

You can have more than one bike Doc

I could never sell mine because I just have too much of myself into it.

I made a special place for it in the shop...a little alcove with track lights.

Been spending most of my time since my back is getting better working on the shop. I need to finish the space so I can get all my tools and bikes in one place. Almost done.

Name:  Alcove_zps9h47pm8m.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  58.6 KB

Last edited by dennisgb; 06-09-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Wow, looks like a car museum! Nice!

I could have more bikes, but I have had the dubious honor of clearing out the "estate" (massive collection of stuff and junk) of several friends who passed away over the years. That has made me try to keep the collection of my own stuff at level where I can maneuver thru the house and garage. I've been thru collections of antique radios, hi fi gear, firearms, smoking pipes (!), guitars, cameras and other stuff and it seems to work best if I eventually trim the collection down to a favorite or two. And it's getting a little crowded in the garage.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Ha!

But the guy with the most "stuff" in the end wins!

I hear you on this. Went thru a divorce in 2013. I have 3 places right now. The shop is key to getting the original house cleaned out so I can sell it. I have 4 bikes there along with collector cars and all sorts of other stuff. There are 6 bikes in the pole barn where the shop is. I have 3 ATV's and 3 tractors. I want all the bikes in one place secure, heated and air conditioned. It will be nice when I'm done.

We have 4 cars and a truck that we drive...

I have a place that is in northern MN that is full of stuff too.

Also into music and have a ton of gear.

Not to mention all the crap that has accumulated over the years.

Eventually it will all be in one place...along with 3 or 4 containers full of crap going to the dump. Not really downsizing yet in terms of my "collection" but will do that as I progress along.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:28 AM

hey doc been studying this thread for a few months now and still can't get my gauge to work, i've got an F2 so i'm between you and sabatoge and have no clue what a capacitor is or a resistor. All this talk about junctions is making my head spin. I hooked up the tach to the thing near the battery and got an RPM reading even though it was like 8k, stock tach output with a test light is dim, and when revved, the test light goes brighter, coil packs provided nothing other than when i touched a part of the coil pack bracket and got a reading of anywhere from1200 to 3k rpms.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 AM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Kyle here are the links to the equipment Doc is talking about

Resistor Here

Cap Here

wire the cap as a bridge from tach input wire to the output wire from the bike, wire the resistor from the tach input side of the same wire then the other end of the resistor to a ground on the bike, hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Chinese SS182 digital speedo installation tips