CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

600F naked bike, help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600F naked bike, help

Hello Everyone,

I just got a CBR 600F hurricane 1989, jet kit, filter, and D&D exhaust system. It has just over 30k and was missing the lower body work. The guy said he track raced it but I think that was just a story. It runs strong but the clutch slips a little. As per this forum I replaced the plugs and tried sea foam which helped but it does not start by itsself (I have to charge it the first time). It will then start fine after running for a while. I put everything back together and fixed many little problems but, many bolts, plastic, and lots of other stuff is screwed up. The clutch sliped a little during a December test ride but the bikes in pieces in my basement currently. While it is apart what can I adjust, check, replace, or upgrade? What to do with all the wires? Can I eliminate any or where can I hide them? I plan on renting or borrowing a power saw to hack off any unsightly/unnecessary brackets and tabs and painting the frame/sub frameblack.

So I have decided to make it into a naked (standard) bike. Not a hardcore streetfighter (I’m not cool enough and neither is the bike). But anyway the headlights I’m interested in are from Aztec8.com 5 ¾” dual kit. My biggest problem is the stock gauges and the oil cooler which is mounted up front. What can I do? Any suggestions?
http://www.aztec8.com/index.html
Great site!!!!

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated, with good/cheap parts and moving electrical wires around. I would like to put a handlebar kit on someday nut that comes after I make it street legal with lights and blinkers all working properly.

What diameter are the fork tubes of an 89 cbr 600f and will I need longer brake and clutch housing and cables with riser bars? Busters.com (UK) has these great riser kits called “Raask H/Bar Risers” for £35.00 and H-Bars for sale. Do you think they will work?
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/default.asp

I'll check back as often as I can.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Default RE: 600F naked bike, help

What I would try is taking it to your local bike shop (or doing it yourself if you feel up to it) and see if the charge system is operating correctly. Its sounds like that or the battery could be the problem. As for the naked bike, its decent, but I think a yellow with black accent would look damn good no matter who you are. Just opinion.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Default RE: 600F naked bike, help

Thanks Sallen_71

The other major question is what to do with, or where to relocate the oiler cooler which is mounted to the forks? This item looks like it will get in the way of the new headlights.