600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

Transform F4i into a Naked Bike

Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transform F4i into a Naked Bike

I recently laid down my F4i and scratched up the right fairing. I had sliders, so it wasn't that bad, but I want to strip off the fairings and convert my F4i into essentially a Naked Bike. I have always liked naked bikes and now I kinda have a reason to convert mine. There are a few main things I would like to achieve with this which I am hoping the CBR forum community to help me with.
1. Replace front cowl with just small round dual headlights and maybe a little windscreen, kind of what is on some Monsters (Duc).
2. Clean up the internals and wiring that will be exposed after the fairings are removed
3. Remove/Replace rear seat cowl with a single seat (cut off in back look) or find a reduced cowl like the GP bikes have
-I would probably have to throw a new rear light on the back, but I would like to use my existing OEM part

I am in college and poor, so think of plans on a budget basis.

Cheers!
AJ

PS I am studying to be a Mech Engineer (Senior) and have worked on my bike a fair amount. So bring on the technical jargon.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Transform F4i into a Naked Bike

i dont know if it would cause loss of structural integrity but you could start drilling holes in the frame and rerouting wires/hoses through it. you could probably snag a headlight and mini windscreen off a sv650 or something. you'd also want to clean up the gauges but i dont know how you would do that. buying a special streetfighter tail fairing would probabbly be expensive, so i would maybe learn how to work fiberglass ha.

this guy did a pretty radical thing with the gauges
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/atta...p;d=1156452724

go for it, it could be badass!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Can't drill holes into the frame. This drastically weakens it. frames are designed with a low factory of safety and shouldn't be tampered with.

In regards to my project. I have worked with carbon fiber and resin, so I theoretically could make a rear cowl, but don't really want to (Too much work). I plan on getting new gauges and a custom wind screen. Wiring is the major issue and water proofing is the major issue I forsee. Any suggestions?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:24 PM

re-route all wires into one big clump and wrap it with something and send it backwards. nice clean look.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:10 PM

I took out the majority of my wiring harness after my bike was wrecked. I did away with everything, but my blinker, hi/lo beam, and ignition wires. i kept my speedo/tacho wires exposed for when i get the money to buy veypor gauges. i have an F3, though. a bit simpler than the F4i i'll assume.