CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1990 "Huricane Janus" Fighter Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrusReigns
Alright, guys are talking me into it...so it looks to me based on the picture here like I have the F1 CDI.

I suppose I should look for an F2 one instead...I'll get to work on that
Should I just work on tracing wires next to get wires matched up with what they connect with?
Not sure if you can tell from the picture. Pull it off and check the numbers with a Google search...that looks like it might be the F2. If it is your further ahead because you might have the F2 engine harness...that would be a good thing.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Not sure if you can tell from the picture. Pull it off and check the numbers with a Google search...that looks like it might be the F2. If it is your further ahead because you might have the F2 engine harness...that would be a good thing.
Yeah, good call. I looked at google search pictures of them you linked and thought they were more different looking than it turns out they really are. I'll run the numbers and see what I find out. I know I don't have the F2 engine harness, so I'll get to work on looking for one of those.

Do people sell a lot of that kind of stuff on the forum here or am I better off looking for parts on ebay as I need them through this process?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Yeah, good call. I looked at google search pictures of them you linked and thought they were more different looking than it turns out they really are. I'll run the numbers and see what I find out. I know I don't have the F2 engine harness, so I'll get to work on looking for one of those.

Do people sell a lot of that kind of stuff on the forum here or am I better off looking for parts on ebay as I need them through this process?
I usualy go the Ebay route. Take your time and find a good deal.

You may want to look at the harness you have because if that is the F2 CDI it has the plug...not sure if the plugs are the same. Look and see if it's spliced in or the harness looks intact before you buy anything.

Did you find the fuse block?

What would you do with this bike if you got it running? Street fighter? The reason I ask is that the front fairing brace is where the main wiring comes from off the fuse block. It has holders for the front plugs and would make it much easier for you to figure out the wiring. Maybe use the Hurricane fairing and fairing stay. Otherwise you will need to figure out a spot to mount the fuse block.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
I usualy go the Ebay route. Take your time and find a good deal.

You may want to look at the harness you have because if that is the F2 CDI it has the plug...not sure if the plugs are the same. Look and see if it's spliced in or the harness looks intact before you buy anything.

Did you find the fuse block?

What would you do with this bike if you got it running? Street fighter? The reason I ask is that the front fairing brace is where the main wiring comes from off the fuse block. It has holders for the front plugs and would make it much easier for you to figure out the wiring. Maybe use the Hurricane fairing and fairing stay. Otherwise you will need to figure out a spot to mount the fuse block.
I don't know about the fuse block yet. I'll have to check when I get home from work...I'm guessing I don't have it.

I was planning on going the street fighter route for the build, but if it would make the rebuilding easier, maybe I'll try to grab a front fairing even if I don't end up using it long-term. Is it just an issue of mounting the fuse block or is there some associated issue that will make my life more difficult if I don't have the fairing?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

It was just a thought on a way to make it easier because the individual plugs have cut-outs by the fuse block mount that are shaped like the plugs...sort of "plug and play". This is on the full fairing stay (the pipe shaped mount on the front). Yours has the ends cut off where this is supposed to be.

If your going street fighter, I wouldn't suggest just buying the fairing because good solid ones are expensive. You might consider buying the fairing mount. These can be had cheap and you can modify it later or swap back to the original once you get the wiring sorted. Then you may also start to figure this out once you get into it and not need it. Most guys who do fighters get a small aftermarket fairing and you could likely tuck all the wiring in there if you go that route.

If you don't find a fuse block you should try and get one because it will help you figure this out. It has plug ends on it that you will see the other ends in the harness.

Honda CBR600 CBR 600 RR CBR600RR F1 Hurricane Electric Panel Fuse Junction Box | eBay

Here is a shot of the full fairing stay where you can see the plate with the cut-outs where the plugs go.

Honda CBR600 CBR 600 600RR CBR600RR F1 Hurricane Front Fairing Stay Bracket | eBay

Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Here are some diagrams from the Hurricane shop manual that might help.

The first one shows the wiring plug bulk head on the fairing stay.

Name:  Image18_zps264b4aa3.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  325.5 KB

This one I put item numbers on to help you see where things go.

Name:  Image20_zps26a8b8d2.jpg
Views: 2539
Size:  388.2 KB

This one shows engine wires.

Name:  Image22_zps1f4fea5d.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  308.3 KB

This one shows more engine wiring.

Harness at number 2 goes to tail and brake lights.

Name:  Image24_zps260030f7.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  292.1 KB

Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much for the diagrams! Those should prove incredibly helpful!!!

As for the parts we discussed earlier, some good news and some bad. As it turns out, I do have the fuse block, so that's a good thing. On the other hand, I pulled the CDI out and have no idea which one it is. It has the numbers M16 823A 9526 on it, but I can't find anything about what that means or how I would know which CDI it is. There doesn't appear to be any splicing or anything so I'm thinking it might be the F1, but I'm at a bit of a loss to figure that out for sure. Any thoughts?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks so much for the diagrams! Those should prove incredibly helpful!!!

As for the parts we discussed earlier, some good news and some bad. As it turns out, I do have the fuse block, so that's a good thing. On the other hand, I pulled the CDI out and have no idea which one it is. It has the numbers M16 823A 9526 on it, but I can't find anything about what that means or how I would know which CDI it is. There doesn't appear to be any splicing or anything so I'm thinking it might be the F1, but I'm at a bit of a loss to figure that out for sure. Any thoughts?
I did a search and can't find those numbers either. This is one of the problems with taking on someone else's project because you don't know what parts were changed.

I tried to find out what the differences between F1 and F2 CDI's are...not much info. It should have an MV9 designation from what I can tell. I think the rev limiter was increased on F2 and that is about all. Since you have the proper plug for the CDI, I would be inclined to wire it up and see what happens. It probably will work either way.

Maybe someone else on the forum could chime in here...