wideband commander/data logger

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband commander/data logger

Im not new to the power commander its been on all most all my bikes. I fooled around changing all kinds of maps fuel percentage's. Now I know the only true way of getting max power is a good tune. What I want to know is has any one ever tried tuning their selves. By getting a data logger. If so, what one is a good one to get. I been looking at the wide band commander. Give me some thoughts for this.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wideband commander/data logger

I've done it using NGK's Powerdex AFX wide band air fuel monitor, a Dataq DI-148U logger, and a laptop. I had the loggerrecord RPM, throttle position and the AFR reading, each at 4 samples per second. After each test drive I'd have to sort through all the data and extract the usable information. The whole process was very time consuming. If the Power Commander system accomplishes the same thing then you're better off going that route.

One thing I noticed in all my testing is the AFR is not always consistent for a given RPM and throttle setting. For example in 3rd gear, 10% throttle at 4000 RPM might result in a 13:1 AFR. In 6th gear the AFR was 14:1 with the same throttle and RPM. I don't know if this was a ram air effect thing or the ECU uses different maps for each gear, but I noticed it with every test. At higher power levels this effect may be less pronounced, but I didn't do much tweaking in the upper RPM range so I can't really say. My point in saying all this is that it won't be possible to get a super dialed-in map that gives you a perfect AFR under all operating conditions. That may not be your intent, but I thought I'd mention it. Also I noticed the AFR sensor didn't seem to work as well when it was downstream of the muffler, you really should place it right after the header. On the '07 CBR1000RR there's a short vertical exhaust section that connects the header and the muffler. I chose to braze in the threaded "boss" in that part of the system because it's a good sensing location, allows adequate room for the sensor and is relatively cheap to replace.