Weird steering at low speed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird steering at low speed...

Hi, I'm a blasphemous GSXR600 rider at the moment, but I'm looking at buying a 2006 CBR1000RR. I really wanted the CBR from the beginning, but I got such a good deal on the GSXR (a mint 2006 with 1k miles for $6k) I couldn't resist. The GSXR is actually a really nice bike; lightweight,nimble, and relatively comfortable. Of course being a 600, it lacks significant low and mid range power and torque.

I've been riding for about 20 years now, across a variety of bikes: FZR1000, CBR1000, TL1000S, TL1000R, Daytona 955i, FZ-1, and now the GSXR600. I test rode a 2006 CBR1000RR and a 2006 GSXR1000 today, and I rode my 600 before and after both test rides. Predictably the GSXR1000 handles almost exactly like the 600 (but with the obvious boost in power), although the extra weight is just barely noticeable. I didn't expect this, but Ireally liked the power delivery of the CBR better better than the GSXR1000. Now follows what I found troubling about the CBR.

From the start the CBR steering felt like it was fighting me in low speed turns, and I mean in a noticeable, worrying manner ("Whoa! WTF is this thing doing?!"). I took the bike to a large, open parking lot and did a fair number of turns, trying to figure out what was happening. The steering trouble wasmost difficult to counterif I was decelerating into the turn. When I kept speed even through the turn the steering felt rather neutral, though perhaps a bit vague. When Iwas accelerating through the turn the steering felt about right. These are relatively low speed, city driving turns, maybe 20-40 mph range.

After I finished riding I took a second look at the bike, and it appears to be in excellent overall condition, though the front tire needs to be replaced. The rear tire is a new Shinko something-or-other; never heard of Shinko... Everything else looked in good order, though it's hard to tell without digging into details I wasn't prepared to investigate (suspension settings and such).

I'm really concernedabout the consistent fighting with the steering. I did a search here on the forum and found a few threads where other people mentioned similar experiences, but there wasn't anything particularly enlightening. The price on the CBR is pretty good, and I really want to buy it. However,I'm a little nervous about this issue with the steering, and don't want to buy without having a potential solution to the trouble. Does anyone have any experience, thoughts or suggestions to offer?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Default RE: Weird steering at low speed...

If you buy it have the suspension set up for you. Put on good tires. Check wheel bearings and steering head bearings.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Without the GSXR and CBR having the same tires it is not a fair comparison. You said it needs a new front tireand has a Shinko something in the rear. What did the GSXR have? A warn out front tire that would slide all over or a sticky front tire with out any traction concerns at all?

The CBR has a longish swingarm for a bike to help plant the rear when accelerating compared to the GSXR. So it will steer a little slower than the GSXR.

I am new to this bike but I haven't noticed any problems with my steering being that slow after all my 95 FZR1000 EXUP was even longer and slower steering. You had to do three point turns on two lane roads just to turn around. The Honda doesn't have this trouble at all. It is rock steady on the highway and has a great power band. I understand the GSXR and R1 both have a peaky power band so I would rather have the CBR. AND I DO!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Did the CBR have the original HESD on it? Maybe it was replaced with a Scotts or Ohlins or something and it was dialed in to stiff? Could also be due to a squared off front/rear tire too. No problems with my 07 for slow speed turns.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM

+1 on tire cuppage...... my 05 falls nicely into any curve at any speed

Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 AM

Shinko are the tires that you will usually see at the 1/4 mile track. They are thick, heavy and inexpensive. I honestly think that the tires are making the difference with your steering. Look closely at the back tire and compare it to your GSXR. The Shinko has less of a curve to it.

I have road both the 06 CBR (which I own) and an 06 GSXR1K. The GSXR's biggest difference to me was how thin it was and how soft the suspension was. It did seem to turn a little lighter than the RR, but not by that much of a difference. If you get the RR, get som new tires (I use pilot powers) and your confidence in the bike will be restored.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Check the tire pressure, it looks like it's fine, but I bet it is underinflated. If not, suspension setup.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Assuming the bike is structurally fine, it could be the tires. I remember I felt something similar when I went from my stock pirellis to michelin pilot powers. As Tomc stated, they are different bikes and the CBR doesn't bank as easy as the GSX-R.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:55 PM

I would agree with RICH, I had almost them same problem on my bike and after pondering what was wrong I checked my tire pressure (looked fine visually)and it was way under inflatted. And I do think that the overall condition (worn out/squared off)of the front tire plays a big role in thelow speed handlingso either fill it up with air to the proper pressure or get a new tire.