F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Weird noise when shifting gears, especially low speed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise when shifting gears, especially low speed.

I am getting a weird noise when shifting gears...its sort of rattly and raspy if that makes any sense. It comes on especially strong when I downshift to first coming to a stop...its kinda of like a very slight rattle and a humming noise...it winds down then goes away. Wondering if this is normal...I have an 02 with 8500 miles...just got the bike recently....Thank you.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your chain.... does it need lube ? Is it correctly tensioned ?
Hard to tell without hearing it.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 AM

I don't think its the lube, I just finished lubing it today. Can you tell me how to check whether the tension is alright on it?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 AM

A slight whine when downshifting is normal for any gearbox, a rattle is not and could possibly be the chain, but like Shadow said hard to tell without hearing it.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUNOLES
I don't think its the lube, I just finished lubing it today. Can you tell me how to check whether the tension is alright on it?
Put the bike on a paddock stand (or a main stand if you have one)

Rotate the wheel and feel the tension on the chain - there are always "tight spots" in a chain - rotate the wheel and adjust to around 1" play (up and down movement of the chain) at a tight spot - measure it in the middle of the lower chain links ie closest to the ground.

Remember the chain will be tighter when the bike's on the ground.

That's how I do it

Check your chain for wear too - if you can pull it away from the teeth on the rear sprocket when the chain's engaged there - the chain is shagged- get a new one. Same goes for if the chain has "sideways" movement, ie if you push it sideways is there a lot of lateral movement in the links...?

Sprockets should always be changed with the chain - if you don't you'll just wear out your new chain on old sprockets. If your sprockets have "bent" teeth (esp at the end) and/or are very sharp at the tip, they are also worn out.

This can also cause a whine or noise through the chain/transmission....

Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Thanks guys, I will check it out later and update.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Shadow- the chain still seems to be good. After reading up a bit on the CCT, I'm pretty sure its the CCT that needs replacing. The noises described from a problematic CCT match the noises I'm getting, plus it looks like I should be due to replace mine (Im at about 8500 miles).
I'm gonna purchase the part myself and go to a local mechanic to install it. My question is- Should I buy a OEM replacement or the APE replacement that everyone seems to go with? Any pros/cons? Thank you for all the help guys.

P.S.- Probably a longshot, but does anyone know of any reputable mechanics in or around Orlando,FL? Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

1st off, and this is my opinion, but you shouldn't be downshifting into 1st gear just to come to a stop, thats alot of load on the gear if your doing it early enough to hear the CCTL rattle [which is between 5-6k rpm]. Just put it in neutral and use your brakes.
2nd, I suggest an OEM replacement. You'll get 50% people telling you to use the oem and 50% saying use an aftermarket manual one. Heres my take: The oem's would have used a manual one if they thought it was a good idea. Some people will argue "but the oem's don't want non motorcycle mechanics to mess it up". Problem with that reasoning is they still have manual adjusted valvetrains in every bike so obviously that isen't a concern for them. The oem tensioner isen't terribly exspensive and my first one lasted me 32,000 miles and the 2nd one is just starting to get a rattle after about 21,000 miles. Thats alot of life sportbike wise.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
1st off, and this is my opinion, but you shouldn't be downshifting into 1st gear just to come to a stop, thats alot of load on the gear if your doing it early enough to hear the CCTL rattle [which is between 5-6k rpm]. Just put it in neutral and use your brakes.
Personal preference here, but I like to come to a stop in gear in case I need to move (like if the light turns green and I'm between 2 cars or I hear someone lock up their brakes behind me and are about to hit me). I usually click it into neutral once traffic is settled in and I know I'll be waiting a minute. I usually switch it into first at like 2k rpm right before coming to a stop though, so the load on the gears is very slight

Last edited by svek; 06-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
2nd, I suggest an OEM replacement. You'll get 50% people telling you to use the oem and 50% saying use an aftermarket manual one. Heres my take: The oem's would have used a manual one if they thought it was a good idea. Some people will argue "but the oem's don't want non motorcycle mechanics to mess it up". Problem with that reasoning is they still have manual adjusted valvetrains in every bike so obviously that isen't a concern for them. The oem tensioner isen't terribly exspensive and my first one lasted me 32,000 miles and the 2nd one is just starting to get a rattle after about 21,000 miles. Thats alot of life sportbike wise.
I imagine they didn't use a manual cct because the cam chain will have it's most stretch at initial break in. It'd be additional break in maintenance with a manually adjustable tensioner or possibly more warranty claims if adjustment wasn't done or done properly.
Mine started to rattle at 7k miles. I decided to go manual since I didn't even get 10k out of it.

Quick Reply: Weird noise when shifting gears, especially low speed.