New clutch from 08 recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya the recall is simple and just 1 part gets replaced but if the tech's arent putting the plates back together the way it came out it's gona hav issues 4sure, every1 of that i myself and the other tech hav done works perfectly fine after and we test ride all of them and havnt experienced the slipping u guys r talking about, that blows hope ur dealerships fix it cuz those are brand new $12k machines...its sad 2 hear there's shops out there not taking care of there customers, id hit up B.A.R. and get it solved that way....

Old 07-09-2009, 05:37 PM

that sucks so much. i'm going to put the bike through its paces tonight and see if its slipping at 8K. should i just get it replaced anyhow? since it was a left over bike from last year do you think they would have replaced the clutch when on the floor?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM

u should get a letter by mail if it hasnt been done yet or jus ask the dealer u bought it from if it was done b4 u bought it and ask for a copy of the repair order showing it was done jus 2 b safe.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM

I havent had mine done yet and after reading this im not so sure i want it..........if i do have it done and it's done right will i like it better than the old clutch..........and i also got a recall notice about a coolant hose clamp....anyone else get one

Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM

yes. i got the coolant hose clamp done. mine just happened to start leaking the exact day i got the letter.only took an hour

Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the issue with the old clutch?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM

I just picked my brand new 2008 from the dealer and had this exact same issue on the ride home from the dealer.

I felt more comfortable fixing it myself, so I opened it up and found out what the issue was.

The clutch pack comes as a complete unit from Honda, so that was fine.

There is a "Spring Seat" that rests against the pressure plate. The two large clutch springs sit against this "Spring Seat". They somehow left out this "Spring Seat" when they re-assembled the clutch. I put it back in and all is well.

There is also a "Spring Seat" that rests against the "Spring Holder" this is another item that may be left out at the dealer. These "Spring Seats" are also beveled and must be installed in the proper direction. If one of these "Spring Seats" is left out it will allow your clutch to slip as you guys are describing, and I experienced myself.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by sbf916
ya the recall is simple and just 1 part gets replaced but if the tech's arent putting the plates back together the way it came out it's gona hav issues 4sure, every1 of that i myself and the other tech hav done works perfectly fine after and we test ride all of them and havnt experienced the slipping u guys r talking about, that blows hope ur dealerships fix it cuz those are brand new $12k machines...its sad 2 hear there's shops out there not taking care of there customers, id hit up B.A.R. and get it solved that way....
sbf916:

When you are re-assembling the clutch, does it matter how the 2 clutch springs are oriented? Should the teeth be lined up perfectly so you can see through them? When I opened mine up they were oriented so the gaps in the teeth were covered. I am assuming that these might float and it does not matter. It does not say anything at all about this in the service manual or the service bulletin.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, does anyone know what serial numbers the bad clutch packs were used on?
was at honda shop today and asked about this, they said some bikes had the recall.
point is the 08's price has dropped another 1000 bucks and they have many left, so i am reallllllllllllllly looking at the 08's now instead of the 09"s.........

Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 PM

i bought my 08 blade on the 4th of july. i'm planning of getting the clutch and coolant clamp fixes done when i bring the bike in for its first service next week.....i have heard on some of the other forums that some of the old 08s had the recall items fixed already. tI did spend some trying to find out if my bike in an old 08 but the vin only tells you the year.

by the way, i don't really care about the recall and the "burning oil" issues some folks are having. this is a great bike. awesome.

Quick Reply: New clutch from 08 recall