New clutch from 08 recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my bike back to the shop, explaining what it was doing (slipping). They ripped right into it and determined that when they first received the bike, they performed the update on the clutch. The mechanic however, (now bear with me, I'm not a mechanic but this is what he told me) didn't properly align the clutch plates (if that makes any sense.) This in turn caused the clutch to feel extremely soft without ever feeling fulling engaged when letting out the lever, and also caused the slipping under moderate load. Since I took the bike back and had the mechanic fix the clutch, it works great. I hope this post helps.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 AM

That explains a lot!! When I got my bike back in April, I noticed the same issues. I even switched off bikes with friends of mine that had other bikes and they were perplexed by the feel of the clutch. When I rode their bikes I did not have any delay or slipping feeling. As soon as I return in June I am going to have the dealership look into it. Thanks for the posts it explains a dilemma that I was totally lost on.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM

I just came back from dropping mine off again. The mechanic I talked to said that it is all 1 piece and all you do is slide the old one out and the new 1 in. They are going to tear it apart and have either the district manager come in to look at it or just send pics of the clutch out and they say that I should get a new clutch for it.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 PM

i had mine done about three months ago. dropped bike off called me later that afternoon saying it was done. picked it up went about a mile to the freeway on ramp. rolled throttle in and banged off rev limiter slipping. the next place to get off freeway was a mile up freeway, to turn around and take back. literaly had to push it to get it to move. they couldnt understand what was wrong... they took it apart and said nothing was wrong the next morning....went to pick it up, start it and it now vibrates and they tell me its normal. fight with them for an hour and figure they are not touching it anymore. so the bike vibrated and clutch chatters like crazy. call honda of america and they say take it back.... no way they are going to touch it again. honda of america wont do anything. i left it parked for about 2 months in disgust, contimplating trading it off for another r1 that will probably catch on fire again. we ended up taking it over to my buddies shop high output and pulled the clutch apart to see what they did wrong. the clutch was stacked wrong. so atleast we corrected it and the vibration is now gone. still chatters but not as bad as it originally did. the way the new clutch stacks is difficult to install because the bellview plate and the partial steel go all the way to the inside and the dealers are trying to install them 1 clutch friction in wich is wrong. or like mine all the way to the outside of the hub and makes it slip. hopefully no one else trusts there bike in the care of champion motorsports in mesa. also was very dissapointed with honda of americas concern for my bike and overall satisfaction

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dude ur dead on !!!

Originally Posted by performance1234
i had mine done about three months ago. dropped bike off called me later that afternoon saying it was done. picked it up went about a mile to the freeway on ramp. rolled throttle in and banged off rev limiter slipping. the next place to get off freeway was a mile up freeway, to turn around and take back. literaly had to push it to get it to move. they couldnt understand what was wrong... they took it apart and said nothing was wrong the next morning....went to pick it up, start it and it now vibrates and they tell me its normal. fight with them for an hour and figure they are not touching it anymore. so the bike vibrated and clutch chatters like crazy. call honda of america and they say take it back.... no way they are going to touch it again. honda of america wont do anything. i left it parked for about 2 months in disgust, contimplating trading it off for another r1 that will probably catch on fire again. we ended up taking it over to my buddies shop high output and pulled the clutch apart to see what they did wrong. the clutch was stacked wrong. so atleast we corrected it and the vibration is now gone. still chatters but not as bad as it originally did. the way the new clutch stacks is difficult to install because the bellview plate and the partial steel go all the way to the inside and the dealers are trying to install them 1 clutch friction in wich is wrong. or like mine all the way to the outside of the hub and makes it slip. hopefully no one else trusts there bike in the care of champion motorsports in mesa. also was very dissapointed with honda of americas concern for my bike and overall satisfaction
I took mine about two month ago as per VIN # it needed the clutch changed. Weeks later, BAM!! problems with bike struggling to pass 8k rpm, gears were slipping and didnt feel as it did when I bought the bike. Yep !! Took it back.

Dealer didnt charge me a penny the second time around because I gave them the third degree for the error they made. The issue was-the mechanic at dealer install the entire piece which by the way is assembled together however there are two springs that, if not alligned properly, can later on with hitting the throttle, eventually start slipping causing the lose of power and slipping of the gear hence the problem I had with rpm struggling to even get past 8k rpm. Well, the head mechanic explained and show me the springs and assured me it was alligned as it should be. Man, I rode the bike back home and OMG !!! dude this bike know if definitely is a BEAST ! It's pulling as it did before the issues and I completely am satisfied.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 AM

After the clutch recall mine was slipping at 6K+, so i called the dealer and they said it was a direct drop in so there could not be a assembly issue. Well, when they finally got the bike in for the first service the clutch pack was disassembled and under inspection the tech said the "Judder Spring" was inverted from Honda! Problem is he could not re-use the main nut at the clutch, so hopefully will be getting a bike with a no slip clutch this week. Will post when i get the bike back.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:12 PM

I just bought my bike. I have noticed it seems like it was slipping under medium acceleration, but only sometimes. Maybe it just needs to break in? After all your experiances I'm almost afraid to take it back to the shop.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM

Update-After my second dealer visit for clutch issues the clutch no longer slips. I do notice more vibration/noise in neutral and some vibration starting at about 4.5K, not terrible but noticable. Also, there seems to be some random clicking felt in the clutch lever. The dealer says this has to do with the slipper portion of the clutch and is normal? I will have to say, this bike is a whole different bike with a clutch that locks up!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 PM

just did my clutch recall on my 08-im a honda bike mechanic at a dealer
the recall is pretty straight-forward-the clutches come pre stacked and aligned/indexed and all you do is drop the whole assy in-pop the springs in and a new nut and youre done-but there is a few steps that are confusing such as which way the springs face-so if the dealer has a newbie do this recall there are some steps that can get farged up
by the way the new clutch feel is similar to the old one just seems a little smoother

Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Dang, i just bought a new 08 blade. should i be worried? sounds like the clutch is slipping at ~8K right? i havn't noticed anything yet but I'm worried.

Quick Reply: New clutch from 08 recall