Fuel pump not priming - bike runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not priming - bike runs fine

SO i picked up an 04 1kr at a great price. The bike runs great, smoothe through the rpms and everything. Yet i cannot hear my fuel pump prime even though the bike will start right up and purr like a kitten. The only thing i noticed is what i will describe as not getting enough fuel upon load of the clutch when starting from a stop. I just have to feather a little bit more than normal i feel, the previous owner had the idle turned up on it a bit i think for this reason. or perhaps its just a glitch in those first rpms, im not to sure as i only have experience on one other 1000rr. Once its going, throttle response is nice and even throughout.

My question is should i just leave it alone (if its not broke dont fix it?) or do i need to address this situation? my plans for the bike is to just flip it in the spring and i will probably only put a tank or two through it. and fuel pumps are not that expensive i dont think?

one other thing, the bike has been sitting for this past winter and riding season. The guy was on his 4th tour and didnt have much time to ride... thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 AM

What is the idle set at?

I have an 05, which is the same bike, and it will take off without even using the gas. I do have it geared though. But even stock, it would do the same. I guess I would check that as well. Make sure the previous owner did not gear it to run lower rpms on the highway. Some people will gear it that way, but will loose power down low. Stock gearing should be 41 rear, 16 front. My idle is set right around 1200 rpms.

As for glitches in those rpms, there really aren't any. Its a pretty smooth power delivery throughout the power band. However, if there is a full system exhaust, it can rob the low end power if not properly tuned for it.

Although you definately should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or two ( a short hum) as the gauge cluster does its cycle as soon as the key is turned on, it doesn't sound like a fuel pump issue. Normally, if the fuel pump is not working properly, it would act up as the load of the engine is increased, such as once your underway and using more throttle, not just taking off.

Have you drained the gas yet? If not, thats the first thing I would do. It sounds like the old gas may not be as combustable as it should be. Plus, this will allow you do remove any water that may have collected during storage.

It also may be possible that the injectors are dirty. Its probably not the case, but a can of seafoam through the entire system of a bike that has been sitting is never a bad idea.

fuel pumps are not that expensive if you buy a used one. But they can be a pina to change. They are tank mounted. But if you do, at leat you will know the tank is clean when your done as you have to remove the pump from the bottom of the tank. However, they rarely go bad.

Or, another possibility, if someone put the stock exhaust back on before they sold it. They might not have hooked up the exhaust valve correctly. if its out of sync, it can cause a lot of power issues.

One more thing, I would check the fuel pressure and the flow rate to make sure they are within spec before replacing the fuel pump. that will tell you if its bad or not.

Last edited by justasquid; 12-25-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:01 AM

cool thanks, Ya i forgot to mention about the exhaust. It has an arata slip on atleast. He said it was a full system but i was a little skeptical of it. If thats the case then it most likely just needs a tune. I have the idle around 750 rpms right now i think. I dont remember exactly cause its been winterized for a couple weeks. ill check tomorrow... By the seat of the pants it didnt feel sprocketed, yet i will check that also. considering the suspension was a little soft, he might have it set up for wheelies.

How would i tell if the headers are aftermarket?

Can of seafoam ready for the spring, i just found it weird the bike is completely silent till you push the starter. i must have the stealth model

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 AM

First thing i would do is turn the rpms up. 750 is way too low. That in itself will probably help the issue quite a bit. The stock idle is 1200 +-100.

If it is a full exhaust, it can reduce some of the low end power by design in order to gain some upper rpm power. Any full system exhausted bike I've ridden tends to lack a little in that area. Its not much, but it is noticable. Even a proper tune may not get rid of the lower end power loss, its just the trade off that comes with higher rpm power gains. But its certainly worth looking into to make sure it has a proper tune to rule that out.

I would check ebay or google some pics of stock exhuast versus afermarket on the header. Most aftermarket companies do not have the means to create an entire tube length, and therefore usually have several hand welded, tig welds of pipe pieced together where the factory is usually one long piece of pipe from the engine to where it connects with the others. Plus, this allows the aftermarket the best and most economical way to get the exhaust tuned. Once they have a combination that provides the best results, thats what they go with. Also, aftermarket tend to use a lot of springs where the factory did not.

Having said that, it should be pretty easy to tell the factory exhaust once you google some images. They have a weird bulge just after the four into two connector that aftermarkets do not have.

Last edited by justasquid; 12-26-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 AM

thanks for the input. I turned the idle up to what you said and it seems more responsive. Although i will have to wait till spring to see how she really preforms.

I was thinking since it was sitting she might just need some road time to clean her out..... i cant stand just looking at the bikes sit. ahh oil change here i come