F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

600 F4i- Can't hear Fuel pump priming -bike wont turn over!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 F4i- Can't hear Fuel pump priming -bike wont turn over!

Hello,
I'am new to this forum, Ive have my 2002 F4i for over a year 1/2 now with 15,000 miles on it and its finally had it's first problem. I went to start the bike last night and i noticed that when i turned the kill switch over to start the bike I didnt hear the fuel pump priming. Then when i went to start it , its trying to turn over but it wont. All the lightsand everything on the cluster is coming on as it normally dose .Im guessing its something to do with the switch ( i use the kill switch to shut off my bike alot without thinking about it) which i think might be the cause of this problem. Anyone have an suggestions of things i can do to troubleshoot it myself? Ive never really worked on my bike befor and basically as far as working on bikes i really dont know much. Any ideas? Am i best off just taking it to the shop? or are there a few things i can do my self with a little instruction , to figure out what the problem is? Thanks alot guys i really appreciate any help and/or suggestions!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 AM

double post sorry

Last edited by gint; 02-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Any codes? I know I was working on my bike in the cold and one of my injector wires broke and it wouldnt prime. it would just roll over continuously.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Im confused so I can't help yet. You talk about the fuel pump but then say it doesn't turn over.... the fuel pump has nothing to do with the engine spinning, thats all electrical and starter motor. So, does the engine turn over when you hit the starter but it doesn't fire up? Or does the engine do nothing when you hit the starter button? BTW I've got 45,000 on my bike now and I've never once heard the fuel pump.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Im confused so I can't help yet. You talk about the fuel pump but then say it doesn't turn over.... the fuel pump has nothing to do with the engine spinning, thats all electrical and starter motor. So, does the engine turn over when you hit the starter but it doesn't fire up? Or does the engine do nothing when you hit the starter button? BTW I've got 45,000 on my bike now and I've never once heard the fuel pump.
How could you not hear the fuel pump? It's that *WHIRRR* noise you get for a couple of seconds when you firt turn the key....

+1 to everything else

Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 PM

yea i dont know how you cant hear the buzzing noise the pump makes everytime you turn the key.

And yea when i try to start it the engine is trying to fire up and everything else is the same as always, but it wont fire up.

Is it possible the kill switch is bad? and when i turn it to the on position its not making the pump work and prime up?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM

That is one possibility. The more likely option is that the BAS(bank angle sensor) behind the headlight has a problem. It could be the sensor itself or more likely in the plug going to the headlight harness.

Edit: Actually I believe that I'm wrong. My bike still primes without the headlight plugged in. (I think....)

Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM

The problem could be the green wire connection in the main harness (big GRAY connector on left side behind the fairing). I believe it does come from the bank angle sensor...but in any case is known for not always making the best connection and can be fixed by putting a VERY slight twist in the pin (and I mean VERY).

Another place to look would be the wire connections for the kill switch.

JP: I'm not sure if it would still prime without the headlight harness plugged in, as I think the BAS has a wire shared in that sub-harness as well...unless there is a sub-sub-harness I'm not fully aware of...

Last edited by Xander F4i; 02-07-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM

If everything else works as normal, could also be a bad fuel pump. when i swapped tanks...the fuel pump that was in the replacement tank, was bad. everything worked as normal, but the fuel pump wouldnt prime, and thus the bike would just crank but not fire. swapped in the pump from my previous tank nd fired right up.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM

how much did the fuel pump set you back? Is it something you can do youself? If not any idea the cost of labor to have that done?

Quick Reply: 600 F4i- Can't hear Fuel pump priming -bike wont turn over!