Deals Gap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deals Gap question

Anyone out there ever been to Deals Gap, 318 turns in eleven miles, in Tenn. I moved to NC recently and want to do the Blue Ridge and head off to Deals if I can get some info.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Default RE: Deals Gap question

I went there this past August and road the whole loop through the Cherohala Skyway around to the dragon. I personaly enjoyed the skyway more than the dragon because it is more open air, less forest, so it has better views and scenic over looks with wider sweepers so you can cruise alot faster. Just watch out for those troopers. I bought a wireless battery powered radar detector that I put in my windscreen that helped alot. When I got to the top of the Cherohala Skyway, the elevation was so high I was actually riding in the clouds that were so thick I coudn't see squat till I started heading back down again. There wasn't much traffic either. Mostly bikes which made it seem more like a biker's paradise. My only regret was that I only had 1 day there to ride it.

Check out the website. It has all the info you need. Be sure to print some maps from the site, unless you have a gps. I just folded up a map page so the area I was in and was going was visible and layed it over the steering damper with the bottom of the folded page crammmed in between the tank cover and the steering damper housing. It stayed the whole way. The fairing kept the wind from blowing it. Enjoy and tell us how it was when you get back. Oh! and take it easy on the dragon your first time. It is very unforgiving with little to no room for error.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Old 10-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback MRTWBILL. I'm shooting for the end of the month. I REALLY appreciate the info. I've had my Repsol since May and only have 89 damn miles on it, can't wait to get out and ride it, finally all moved in and settled down. I will post some pics if I take the time to REALLY enjoy my ride. Thanks again for all of the info. Keep the dirty side down and enjoy !!

Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Retired Mod

went there in september, going back next year. 8 of us total went and rented a cabin. we had four days to ride it. word of advise tho, ride it slow the first time. one guy didnt and went down pretty hard and slid into a guardrail. other than that, loads of fun. enjoy

Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 AM

I lived in western North Carolina. The Parkway is nothing compared to the dragon. It is a bikers paradise there. Have fun there and be safe. Those trees are the only thing there to stop you.