Air Flap Mod./ lose power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Flap Mod./ lose power?

ORIGINAL: 2wheels

This is my only point. I don't care about airflow readings.
Who was talking about airflow?

Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 PM

After reading a few replies to my post, I was getting this sick feeling that some people are not reading the thread or just didn't care to read. Now my feeling have become a fact.

MgA_ODEN wants to know "Who was talking about airflow?"

If somebody wants to take the time to show MgA_ODEN what he said throughout this thread, be my guest. As for me, I got my answer about bike performance.

Bye....

Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 PM

a couple things to add fuel to the fire...

the flapper valve is in place to limit intake noise and to help the bike squeek by the EPA noise regulations.

You have to remember that the CBR is tuned NOT for peak performance, but to pass emissions regulations. if you REALLY think your bikes is "tuned" you need to fit a kit ECU, de smog it, and map it with a PC3USB. Then tell me where the extra 6-7hp came from.

Remove the flapper, the pair, and get that sucker mapped, stock pipe or not!

and with ANY of the EPA stuff in place, you only give up HP, torque, and performance...

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 PM

, de smog it,??? whats that mean? im new to the bike world

Old 10-29-2007, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

now i didnt dyno my bike before the flapper to get a change but i do know this
of the literal thousands of posts on the flapper mod between this site and 1000rr.net
99.9 % of them are postive
The problem is that you could bolt on a fake"race only"mod that did the exact same thing as the OEM part and 99% of riders would bethrilled with the amazing performance gains. The placebo effect with any EPA defeating modcannot be understated.

I didn't actually run any tests to confirm this, but I'd bet therewouldn't bemeasurable gains in remapping just for the flapper mod. You really can't fine tune these things anyway since the ECU doesn't use the same mapfor every gear. That bugs me.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

The ECU's on these bikes are optimized for the stock condition. So, multiple mods may actually work against each other if the ECU is not properly adjusted after doing all the mods.
the pair has no effect whatsoever on torque and horsepower on a dyno because if the pair is not removed the dyno operator will clamp it off
(or at elast he is supposed to)
this means that it should give the same reading as a bike with the pair removed

besides all the pair does is put fresh o2 into the exhaust gas after it has went through the engine
even if the pair is working the only negative impact is that it will throw off an AF reading if the operator doesnt clamp the hose

as far as the ecu goes
if you dont remap with a PC3 every mod will work against the performance in some fashion

this is why a custom map should always be the last thing you do once the engine mods are complele otherwise you must remap to the tune of 200-250 every time you make a change
flapper. air filter, intake, htev, pipe, internal worl

any change will affect how your bike runs

now i didnt dyno my bike before the flapper to get a change but i do know this
of the literal thousands of posts on the flapper mod between this site and 1000rr.net
99.9 % of them are postive
The problem is that you could bolt on a fake"race only"mod that did the exact same thing as the OEM part and 99% of riders would bethrilled with the amazing performance gains. The placebo effect with any EPA defeating modcannot be understated.

I didn't actually run any tests to confirm this, but I'd bet therewouldn't bemeasurable gains in remapping just for the flapper mod. You really can't fine tune these things anyway since the ECU doesn't use the same mapfor every gear. That bugs me.

[/quote]

did this post agree with me or call me an idiot hahaha. i dont have my glasses on so i just skimmed over it

Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 PM

man its just a hose take it off plug it and ride the bike u didnt like it put back on .. simple and one cheap mod (actualy free) personaly i loved it brought the bike to live and made it breathe more .. sound louder thou which is good..

Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 PM

did this post agree with me or call me an idiot hahaha. i dont have my glasses on so i just skimmed over it
Well since I royally screwed up the quote, my post didn't deserve more than a skimming over. I fixedit, so it makes a little more sense now ... I'm certainly not calling you an idiot, but I don't share the same enthusiasm that you have for the flapper mod.In my opinion, all the raves people have about the flapper mod are 95% psychological.To many riders, any mod that makesabike noisier or pollute moreis surely going togive you a performancegain, but we know that's not necessarily true. I don'tremember the exact wording but I recall one guytalking about what an "amazing difference"the flapper mod made on his bike, and it was in an RPM range that showed no difference on the famous dyno chart. Didn't another person claim they felt a boost at like 6000 or 7000 RPM? Impossible.

The only difference I noticed when I did themod was the increased sound, I didn't notice any performance bonusand the2000-2500 RPM dead spot almost seemed to get worse. I did a fair amount of tweaking with the map, but the dip is still noticeable at part throttle. Like I mentioned in the previous post, fine tuning the map with a Power Commander is a pain since the ECU uses different mapsfor different gears.For RPM rangeswhere more than one gear may be used (3500+) you've got to findthe best compromise for all gears. For example,at 10% throttle in the 4500-5500 RPM range I noticed a 1.5 differencein AFRbetween 3rd gear and 6th gear. That scared me.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM

i think we posted this link already but the owner of www.hooliganbiketech.net shows a 2hp increase on the dyno from run 1 where the flap is hooked up to run 2 where the hose is blocked.
i always do blind tests on mods like this. i have a buddy set the bike up and not tell me the difference
then i ride the bike. bring it back he sets it up the other way. since i dont know which way the bike is set up while riding i cannot be biased. i really couldnt tell a huge difference. i did pick the flap mod ride as the one that got out of the flat spot faster. it wasnt until i was totally finished modding and custom mapped that the flat spot went away totally.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 AM

i think we posted this link already but the owner of www.hooliganbiketech.net shows a 2hp increase on the dyno from run 1 where the flap is hooked up to run 2 where the hose is blocked.
i always do blind tests on mods like this. i have a buddy set the bike up and not tell me the difference
then i ride the bike. bring it back he sets it up the other way. since i dont know which way the bike is set up while riding i cannot be biased. i really couldnt tell a huge difference. i did pick the flap mod ride as the one that got out of the flat spot faster. it wasnt until i was totally finished modding and custom mapped that the flat spot went away totally.
I'm sorry but aftera closer read of hooliganbiketech.net,we have no reason to put any faith in the dyno chart that shows the supposed HP gain. Straight from the web site-

"This flap opens above 5,600 RPMs similar to the exhaust valve"

"With the flapper mod, the bike gained over 3HP and 3 ft lbs of torque in the lower RPM ranges from 4,400 RPMs to 7,200 RPM"

7200 RPM? Do you see the problem here? The chart shows gains past 8,000 RPM, wellafter theflap was fullyopen. And why don't we see a sudden jump in the torquecurve at 5600 RPM when the flap opens? Something doesn't add up.

As forthe flat spot, a stock bikewith the flapper disabled will always have it to some degree, especially at part throttle. You can run it at any AFR you want, it ain't going away.

Quick Reply: Air Flap Mod./ lose power?