Default RE: Air Flap Mod./ lose power?

did you lose the low end torque on a real dyno or a butt dyno
with the gain only about 3 ft/lbs
you arent going to feel it + or -

Old 12-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

baxsom:

At the URL you provided above, the guy had ALSO modified the Pair. I believe that is the EPA stuff that are on some bikes. In that case, the dyno is not compared to a 100% stock bike. It sounds logical that removing the EPA junk would help performance, but it does not according to http://www.rogueracing.org/pair.htm . So, I think it would be more accurate to see a dyno that shows the difference between 100% stock verses 100% stock minus Flapper. In addition, other mods on peoples bike such as exhaust mods may not be working positively with the Flapper mods.

The ECU's on these bikes are optimized for the stock condition. So, multiple mods may actually work against each other if the ECU is not properly adjusted after doing all the mods.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:20 PM

the snorkle does change
at low rpms
very small doors are open allowing air in
at high rpms
flap opens and the entire snorkle is free
when you unhook the disable the flapper the snorkle is always open

I guess my point is in the avertisments and dealer info this flapper closes off to increase intake velosity thus increasing bottom end torque. I'm saying this is not true, you cannot increase velosity by just closing off one end of the airbox. Other things would have to happen at the same time for velosity to change kinda like the new Yamaha R1.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 2wheels

At the URL you provided above, the guy had ALSO modified the Pair. I believe that is the EPA stuff that are on some bikes. In that case, the dyno is not compared to a 100% stock bike.
Have you ever had your bike on a dyno?
The first thing you have to do is clamp off the PAIR valve so you can get a correct A/F reading.
That being said , in this case, the dyno is being compared to a 100% stock bike.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 PM

baxsom:

At the URL you provided above, the guy had ALSO modified the Pair. I believe that is the EPA stuff that are on some bikes. In that case, the dyno is not compared to a 100% stock bike. It sounds logical that removing the EPA junk would help performance, but it does not according to http://www.rogueracing.org/pair.htm . So, I think it would be more accurate to see a dyno that shows the difference between 100% stock verses 100% stock minus Flapper. In addition, other mods on peoples bike such as exhaust mods may not be working positively with the Flapper mods.

The ECU's on these bikes are optimized for the stock condition. So, multiple mods may actually work against each other if the ECU is not properly adjusted after doing all the mods.
the pair has no effect whatsoever on torque and horsepower on a dyno because if the pair is not removed the dyno operator will clamp it off
(or at elast he is supposed to)
this means that it should give the same reading as a bike with the pair removed

besides all the pair does is put fresh o2 into the exhaust gas after it has went through the engine
even if the pair is working the only negative impact is that it will throw off an AF reading if the operator doesnt clamp the hose

as far as the ecu goes
if you dont remap with a PC3 every mod will work against the performance in some fashion

this is why a custom map should always be the last thing you do once the engine mods are complele otherwise you must remap to the tune of 200-250 every time you make a change
flapper. air filter, intake, htev, pipe, internal worl

any change will affect how your bike runs

now i didnt dyno my bike before the flapper to get a change but i do know this
of the literal thousands of posts on the flapper mod between this site and 1000rr.net
99.9 % of them are postive

Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 PM

reference for the lazy

did flapper, gained low end torque
http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread....per+low+torque

11 pages of how great the flapper is by the ultimate 1000RR guru himself LordDuckHunter
http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread....per+low+torque

last one they are all starting to say the same thing
http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread....t=flapper+loss

Old 12-03-2006, 12:43 AM

I asked a friend who is a Honda tec about the flapper and was told it is used to presurise the airbox at higher RPMs causing a ram air afffect. Was also told the mod would only help a small amount on accelertion.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 AM

MgA_ODEN:

Obviously, I have never had my bike on a dyno. Having said that. If the Pair has to be bypassed to do a dyno, then how can anybody really know how the Pair affects performance? I have heard, as someone else has indicated, that the Pair does not help or hurt engine performance. I'd like to know how we can know this if it's not possible to test the bike with the Pair fully functioning?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:23 AM

how can anybody really know how the Pair affects performance?
The PAIR system introduces filtered air into the exhaust ports to burn any unburned exhaust gases. Introducing air into a hot exhaust with fuel vapor will ignite this leftover fuel vapor turning it into CO2 and water vapor. According to Honda this greatly reduces the amount of environmentally harmful emissions coming from the 1000RR's exhaust. The PAIR system has ZERO affect on performance.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: MgA_ODEN

how can anybody really know how the Pair affects performance?
The PAIR system introduces filtered air into the exhaust ports to burn any unburned exhaust gases. Introducing air into a hot exhaust with fuel vapor will ignite this leftover fuel vapor turning it into CO2 and water vapor. According to Honda this greatly reduces the amount of environmentally harmful emissions coming from the 1000RR's exhaust. The PAIR system has ZERO affect on performance.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Quick Reply: Air Flap Mod./ lose power?