08 1000rr wont start after track day

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 1000rr wont start after track day

I just attended a track day at Hew Hampshire Motor Speedway yesterday. The bike ran perfect all day long. No problems. Today, I get on my bike, turn the key, and everything whirls to life as its supposed to- i heard the fuel pump prime, the lights came on and the tach goes to redline and back. I hit the start button and it started, but it stumbled, even as i reved it. It ran like i had a fouled plug, and i saw some smoke coming from the tailpipe. So i turn it off figuring ill try to start it again. When I turned the key on the second time, the lights came on and the tach went to red line and back, but the fuel pump never primed. So as you can guess, when I hit the start button, it just turned over and never fired up. The gauges arent giving me any lights or codes or anything, and all the fuses are good, and the damn thing still wont start! (and yes i checked the kill switch). theres 3000 miles on it along with a dyno-tuned power commander, ignition retard controller and 2-bros slip on. Like I said I've got 3k miles on it with NO problems before this, most of those miles were done after my mods were done so I know that cant be the problem. Why wont this thing run, any suggestions?!?! PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited by Chrisct713; 08-06-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM

also, I had a similar problem with my 954rr and it turned out to be the tip-over sensor was bad. How can I check to see if that is the problem?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 PM

On my 05 1000RR, jumping the two outward wires leading to the sensor will bypass it. Im not 100 percent sure its the same on the 08 though. If there are 3 wires leading to it, chances are pretty good its the same.

However, before you do that. I would simply unhook the battery for a minute or two, then reconnect it. if the pump is already primed and the FPR sees pressure from the previous key on, it may not prime. Unhooking the battery may reset the BAS and allow the pump to prime. If it still doesnt prime, I would check the fuses and then do the BAS bypass test.

But, it sounds like it may have just been flooded out. the best thing to do would have probably been to keep it running for a minute to see if it cleared up. With one plug already fouled, the bike running in its "richened" state due to the warm up circuit, it may have just simply fouled them out.

But, if you let it sit for awhile and the pump still doesnt prime, then there is another issue all together. Maybe check the connections on the power commander to make sure they didnt work their way loose.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Justasquid, thank you for your reply. I did unhook the battery and had the same results when attempting to start it again. I have not however tried to jump the BAS. I think since its still under warranty I'll just throw it on the trailer and take it to the dealer, have them deal with it. It just sucks that now after my first track day I have the biggest urge to RIDE then ever before, and now I'm without a bike Thanks again for your help, and if you have any other suggestions, please throw them at me so I can see what the techs at the dealer think about it.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM

this problem turned out to be the DynoJet Power Commander Ignition Control Module apparently. The mechanic said he unhooked it and the bike started right up and ran normal. Has anyone else had any trouble with this IRC's? Also, do they actually do anything or did I pay 60 bucks for a "false" mod? If I take the IRC off of my bike completely, do you think I'll need to get my bike re-dynotuned?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have a power commander
if so ..

when you run track it "LEARNS" to run richer or leaner depending how your bike is set to begin with ..

id bet its the power commander .. ihave had that happen on 14 bikes i have worked on ..

to fix it you need a lap top and zero map the PC it will start .. then remap the PC

OR..

disconnect the pc totally from the bike.. id bet it starts