04' 2nd Gear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 04' 2nd Gear Problem

Hello forum. I'm trying to determine if a diagnostic teardown is cost effective over engine replacement for this situation.
I have a buddy with a problem on his 04’ transmission. It’s slipping out of 2nd gear and dropping into 3rd gear. Since this bike has a cassette transmission, wouldn’t it be a simple matter of pulling out the defective part once found and replacing it with a new OEM part? What parts is it most likely that he would need? When we have an idea of the components that need replacement, we could easily lookup a part# and price from a microfiche. The alternative is to replace the motor[>:]

Old 08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 04' 2nd Gear Problem

Absolutely no need to replace the engine. thats the awesome thing about the newer style transmissions. Its a simple matter of removing the transmission. No need to split the case or anything that time consuming.

I'm assuming he may have a bent shift fork. There are also the sleeves that the shift fork slides on that may be damaged, may be called shift drums,not sure. The best thing is to remove the transmission and have a look. Its a whole lot less work than changing an engine, and cheaper by far. If you do this, you might as well check all the gears and make sure they are in good working order.

A dealership shouldnt even charge that much considering how simple these are compared to splitting the case. A friend of mine had an R1 that needed second gear replaced and it was somewhere around 800 bucks. But, they had to split the engine case to do it. the parts cost was around 75 bucks... so the rest was labor. But with the RR's trans type, I can imagine it costing more than 3-400 for a dealership to do it. but I could be wrong. I'm usually suprised at dealer prices..

Anyway, I would at least pull the trans and look.. the problem may jump right out at ya. If its in the trans itself... something bent or cracked... you buy a used on ebay.. I see em go for 150-300 bucks all the time.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 04' 2nd Gear Problem

Thanks squid. I never got email notification of your reply, I guess it was forum issues again.

Thanks for the idea of the shift drum, that's what I was figuring too, but I don't know anything about transmissions, which is why I think it would be a waste for me to do a visual inspection (but sometimes you never know, right). He knows even less about bike mechanics and he's been in the bike scene waaaaaaaay longer than I have.

Now we just have to find someone who realizes the bike has a cassette transmission.