CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why do you ride a Hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to ride when I was a teenager , but was never allowed to try and I was guided towards cars , which was where I stayed for all those years
But the desire for a bike never left me alone , even though life throws things at you that prevent you from doing what you want .
So fast fwd to last summer , rushing towards fifty , the government are about to make bike tests a lot more awkward and I figure it's now or never.
My wife , god bless her , was always saying 'just get one', so passed my test last year and bought the 'Scarlet Harlot' in the November

I'd been researching second hand bikes for months and quickly narrowed it down to either a VFR750fl or the CBR1000f . The gear driven cams did appeal to my more sensible side , but the extra capacity of the CBR won out 'cos I knew the wife would want a ride occasionally

Been in love with her ever since, it's like I met a childhood sweetheart after 35 years apart and I regret every wasted second that we could have been together!

There's no fool like an old fool

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea what the CBR 1000F was, but wanted a sport bike, or at least an inline four with lots of power. The guy selling it told me it was a sport tourer, but at the time to me, it was a sport bike(owned a a cruiser at the time). Well, I took it for a test ride, and new I wanted it. So, i bought it and took her home.

My cruiser, from that point, just sat up and I had to make myself ride it once or twice a week.

Well, I sold the cruiser and bought a 2002 FZ1. When I first bought the FZ, the Hurricane got treated like the cruiser I had before- I had to make myself ride it because I was so enthused with the FZ.

But it didnt take long before she was calling my heart. Now, I ride my Hurricane quite a bit and love the way it rides on the open road. Compared to the FZ, it has far less power, but it is more comfortable to me. The Hurricane feels like riding a sport luxury car, like a BMW 7 series; heavy, smooth, comfortable, and plenty of power.

I would buy a new one in a heart beat if they still made them. It seems like every newer bike on the market would make me have to sacrifice to get what I wanted. Either less wind protection, less power, or less comfort. But the Hurricane meets all my needs the best!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM

Well, i took the time to write my spill on how i ended up with mine, but this site locked up on me, so im not goiing to type all of it out again.

Bottom line is I love my hurricane! It has far less power than my FZ, but its like riding a luxury sports car like a BMW 7 series; smooth motor, heavy, powerful, and comfortable!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:40 PM

well, i see it posted the first time. Sweet!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey bicklebok... do you think you could say that the 'Cane has "far less" power than the FZ one more time??

You're dead to me now....

LOL.....

Just kidding (kind-of).

Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Bud has one and have ridden it ............but this is a CBR forum so that's all I need
to say 'bout it.

I too like my old girl better for high speed touring.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator - Retired

WITCHES!!! BURN THEM!!
(The Honda gods are now upset!)
lol...

I snapped a pic of this beast at the Thunder Rally this weekend.
It has more power than my old F'er.
If it were mine, I'd sell it and buy 10 more CBRs!!

Name:  thunder8.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  137.0 KB

Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice shiny bucket of bolts wonder what's in the NOS bottle ?

Tequila ?

7mpg ?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator - Retired

lol...
Nope.... pure shame.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockaholic
Nice shiny bucket of bolts wonder what's in the NOS bottle ?

Tequila ?

7mpg ?
Probably a toolkit and a bottle of hair spray.......................tell me that thing could run with a Hurricane, and I'll call you a "teller of porkpies".
The thing's all brawn and no brain.........
I'm clearly not a "boss hoss fan "

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?