Default yerp

3 thumbs up on that one ................oh yeah

Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another reason

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
How bloody true is that quote .....
That is a great way to describe them ...I like it
I have been blessed to own many, many bikes. I own three now and I enjoy them all but when it comes to getting attention, the ole' girl still draws them in. This past week, Thursday and Friday, I went to visit my Dad and on the way there, picked up a nail in the rear tire as well as chunked a small piece of rubber.
I only found one dealer with the 170/60/17 rear I wanted. A Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawi dealer. Took it in, service asked the typical questions until it came to miles. At a little over 11,000 miles, the service manager had to have a look. Followed by the store manager, then two salespeople and finally an old guy on a 1974 BMW with 200,000 (+) miles.
As we get ready to leave the bike so we can pick it up at lunch, my Dad looks at me and asks, "Is that bike rare? You have owned some wild bikes and a few that I wish you still had but other than that 1981 Suzuki Katana 1100, no one ever looked at your bikes like that." I laughed and said it is because it is a classic and you rarely see a well cared for low miler.
13 years old, quickly approaching 14 she still pulls them in. Later, JD

PS - There was a sweet lime green ZX-14 that caught my eye while we were there. My wife told me to get out. To quote her, "WTF...are you crazy. Four f--king bikes...just get the f--k out!!!" I think I may have left a few F--ks out. Ha! Maybe a Christmas present you ask? No way...you ask her!

Last edited by Honda Nut; 08-03-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by leanit
...the service manager had to have a look. Followed by the store manager, then two salespeople and finally an old guy on a 1974 BMW!
That's funny. I had a similar experience this past weekend at my local Honda dealer. I just stopped by to look around and as I was leaving there was a salesman and manger hovering over my bike. I told them, "She is in pretty good shape to be 15 years old, huh?" They agreed and stated that it is very rare to see them at all and especially in good condition. It was a nice feeling as I rode away to know that people still remember this old bike with fond memories and respect. I could never afford one when they were new. I was young and I didn't make a lot of money so, I was relegated to the 600's, due to insurance costs mostly. But, I am very happy that I finally have a 1000F in my possession now.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went out to buy some more diesel oil for the bike today, and one of the salesmen asked if my bike was the new 09 Tourer...........
When I told him the bike is older than he is, he just stood there ...................
Gotta love the old ladies !

Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Default My First Hurricane

I rode a Lot of bikes in my younger years from a '76 honda 550 four (my first) to a 1980 Suzuki gs750 (my only brand new vehicle purchase) with a 74 Z1 (wild, the widowmaker) a cb750k, even a honda Hawk. Then I had a dry spell for a few years, Marriage kids houses etc. about 3 years ago I found a 1980 Yamaha XS1100 with 14k miles and nearly perfect. I was back into bikes!! I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Was enjoying the heck out of it when I went on vacation gave my son permission to ride my bike while Ii was gone and when I came back He said "Dad I have some bad news..." The old XS always used a little oil and he had forgotten to check it....while riding the snot out of it. a bad combination. after the estimate to rebuild the 1100, junior stepped up to the plate and wrote the check. Good on him! Anyway the wind had been taken out my sails and so instead of fixing the Yamaha I started looking for a slightly newer . I rode an FJ1200 and really liked it but the guy wouldn't budge on the price and I had to stay within what the repair bill for the XS would have been (my lovely bride is very understanding about my addiction, but money is tight). then one day I found an 87 CBR1000F on craiglist, and the guy just happened to be going for a ride from Seattle to Ellensburg and so I suggested we meet at the starbucks and he let me take it for a spin. Holy Crap!! I was hooked... almost. He started talking about salvage title and the fairing was wrong and didn't have a real headlight etc. etc. I said thanks but no thanks. Well then I found a 1990 Hurricane in the Seattle area and after looking at it and riding it I made him an offer about 400 less than his asking price and exactly what I had (had to pay the tax out of coffee money) and rode it home. Been in love ever since. Silver with 36k miles. Needed a fuse for the fan, is missing a few screws and has a few scratches but I'm hooked. Smooth power, comfortable, the brakes are unbelievable, every time I ride it I find something else to love about it. I will be CBRFer for life.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet another silver bullet joins the happy band.......................we need to start a subsection for silver ones......................ar ar
Good story, and welcome..............
Put up some pictures..........we love piccies !

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice history Key .... good story mate ...
+10 Excellent story, Key! Welcome to the CBR Forums!

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?