CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why do you ride a Hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, great story, bruiser. It's funny how that stuff sticks with you. Just like I remember the first time I saw a 'Cane and had to have one.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shadow
The old lady

she sits quietly, dignified in silence, waiting…
a picture in her colours, pretty as whatever you can imagine…
if we could know the stories only she could tell
the days of youth and speed, long runs flying through the morning cold, or into the lazy heat of sunset, adventures lost now to all save those who knew and loved her through the years.
She is older now, yet still has the power to draw young men which women would pay a king’s ransom to possess…..!
She waits for you. Or me, to whisper to her gently, bring her to life in an instant, and suddenly in her awakening all is not as it was…..
There is a menace in her stance which warns as many women do,
“mistreat or abuse me at your peril ! “ and she’s the one who can make it all right or wrong in a heartbeat, and you will pay dearly for any disrespect.
She growls a gentle warning like a predator to her cubs, but will bark and run at the least encouragement, to places where lines are blurred and the world becomes a tunnel, battered by sound. Where an insect has the power of a bullet,
and yet within all the noise there is a silence so profound that only those who have been there can describe it.
We return her to her home, to be pampered as any woman should be, and cared for as she cools with musical tinkling sounds.
And once again, patiently, she waits……
That is one the most moving pieces of writing I've ever read. Shadow, you are a true bard. Consider yourself a poetic wizzard. Thank you!
Couldn't have summed up the brief experience I've enjoyed with mine in a hundred years of trying...

Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Henry - glad you enjoyed it.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM

I ride a CBR1000F because last winter I wanted to buy a street bike, but I didn't have any extra money. I wanted something that I could get cheap that was new enough to be able to get parts for, comfortable, a capable S/T bike that leans a bit towards sport, and a very low price. My sub-$2000 CBR was just the ticket!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM

I won't even try to match the DEAD ON description by Shadow.
I've had a few bikes and got a job at Dallas Honda in sales.
Selling = easy..... credit check and insurance payment hard.
Now I am an electrician, I think, unemployed at the moment, (1/2 year)
Anyhow, I used to sit on a Silver on Silver 1000f and polish the tank. Hoping someone would pass the credit check (had to before test ride) so I could give her a "Warm-up run" no-one did.
Then nearly 20 years later there she sat ( I like to think its her) at a garage sale. Someone had gone to get the money. I said I had the money. He was a good guy and wanted to wait and honor the deal he'd already made. I left my number and sulked home. He never called, so I went by just to see if it was there. It was! The other guy had never come back, turns out the owner didn't call because he was thinking of keeping it and getting it running. Thank god his wife was there, he may not have told her I came by. It took some work, as you can see from my original posts on this forum, but she is running pretty good. Need a diaphragm in 1 carb. I think this one got ripped by the "pro." I decided to pay to see what she would run like when "professionally tuned" I did it better. Then when I get work, and money, it'll be a CCT then cosmetics, I hope.

Last edited by VeryMotley; 12-01-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Type-o city
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator - Retired

Cool it worked out Motley and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Thank you Trout,

It'll have to get better soon assuming bounce theory. Unless I'm a sandbag.
I let a buddy, who laid his Harley down, borrow her. Now I can't get rid of him. He he. Sadly, he calls on beautiful days. "I was thinking nice day for a ride, too." 42f today but no rain till afternoon.

Last edited by VeryMotley; 12-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes very good Motley........great story indeed ......I wish you every luck too man.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well being fairly new here still, I missed this story thread, so here's mine.

My brother & I were always riding somewhere. I was riding my 78 GS750E (not my 1st bike) & he was riding his 79 CB750F. Whenever we would swap rides I always felt a different feel on the CB, kind of like I was destined to be with Honda back then. After a few years my bro found himself 84 V65 Sabre, all I thought was man Honda out did themselves with this machine. A true sleeper in my eyes. I had to have one so I found myself his twin. We now have the same torq monster, shaft drive with 121 hp. I decided I wanted another one so I searched for the other color they made that year & bought it. After a few years of smokin the crap out of tires & trying to keep the front end down & or making sure the rear end doesn't always have to be at our destination before the front end. Now I'm addicted to the power. I thought, OK I have to have a sport bike now & Honda is what I want. So it's now year 1994 & I NEED to have a CBR but wanted to have the 1993 model only but could not find any left in the Chicagoland area about 200 mile radius I searched. But then I found a dealer 50 miles from home that said he has one left but it's not built yet, it's still in the shipping crate. I went to see if it was the 93 in the crate & bingo there it was sitting in a box. He said he could have it built by the weekend. I brought it home with me that weekend. I still to this day feel proud when I ride her. My CBR in my garage is like a trophy to championship team every time I see her. Decided to sell off the my Sabres. And I lived happily ever after, the end, good night.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Administrator - Retired

Good story, Joel. Funny you mentioned the GS750. My buddy's dad had one and he would let me ride it all over when I was younger. I thought I was cool as hell riding that bike around...lol... I think it was a GL, though..... like the '81. He had a windshield fitted to it, though.
I had a CL or CB100 back at the house I was working on, and the GS was like a sweet Harley to me at the time..

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?