CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why do you ride a Hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride my Hurricane today because I bought one new in the box in 88 I watched the dealer put together out of the crate from Japan and when I saw my current bike in a junk yard I had to have after I put it back together I ride it all the time.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM

well, i`ve done a reply before but hear we go again....for the last 2 night i have left my `87 hurricane in the main entrance to my local pub(bar)for reasons of having too much alcohol, lol, and after it being there for the past two days i realised how much i miss not having it in my garage. went today to pick it up, put the key in, fired straight away. took it out and brought it home. how i could leave her there is beyond me....i have had both the early and later cbrthou`s and never again will i be without a 1000 hurricane no matter what year or how old it is....

Last edited by cbr_jim; 07-14-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right, jim.

I took mine out to a bike night this evening. I can't see ever giving it up.
What a great ride. It just does whatever you want it to. I don't even know what else to say about it.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default know what you mean

had one the the girls at work bring me in her FatBoy today to admire.

Had to be nice to her ..........we parked them together

Got a fit of the chits and giggles ............she sez .....wtf's so funny

I sez it's a nice bike but reminds me of something

She sez ...........oh yeah like f'n wot ??????????????????

.........Well my Granny's Arm Chair only in Black and Chrome.........

F@@k..in Bad line to use...........she's a fuller figured Lady shall we say

She wus steamed...........but I bought her a big lunch an she got over it
Slammed me back with Rotch Crocket Rider ........mean bastard SOB

Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Default Conny & Cane

Well, i was a Concours rider back in Europe, but had to sell her when i moved to the states. ....the long lasting agony of not sitting on 2 wheels started at that very point...

fast forward - 10 years later. I'm looking for the one thing i used to know - a Concours, but couldn't locate one locally. at least not for a fair amount. it's incredible how much people expect to get for a Concours.

My 6 month research brought the 1KF to the foreground in many results, from reliability to cruising, engine, performance, upkeep, etc.
Ok, me thinks; i can't get a Conny, I get a Cane - sounds better anyways.

I exhausted just about all options, even found an '88 locally, but he wanted $3500 for it - ended up checking Craigslist in Minneapolis.
To my very surprise, there was one listed, buried in a lengthy advertisement of why the seller is selling car and bike together. Just in the last sentence he mentioned that he's willing to break them up.
I call - say i pay cash; how much do you want? "I'll take $1600 if you pay cash". At this time i heard the playing.

Off i went, 2 days later, cash in hand, driving the 250 miles to Minneapolis - it was March and it was f'in' cold.
I meet the guy, he starts her up, a 1990 Cane. Suddenly, he mentions that he also throws a color matching Joe Rocket jacket and gloves in! ($260 value right there)...and I play the sad fiddle, long drive, cold temps...would you take $1400?
We met square in the middle at $1500 greenbacks!
The long drive back, in chilling temps was a blast. I felt alive, the Cane is truly not a Conny. There's testosterone in the tank

250 miles later, my nuts frozen to the seat, if you're thinking "Dumb and Dumber" reference, you're almost there, I was home - but, ready for more!
Ever since, I've been putting almost 3k miles on her - on a bike that i bought for $1500 - $260 for coat & gloves = $1240 for the bike alone.

She runs like a charm, topped out at $168 mpH, is reasonable on gas, 50mpg on tours, and can hold with bikes by far younger than she is.

I think....I lucked out on this one

F.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Default Great story

Originally Posted by FargAT
Well, i was a Concours rider back in Europe, but had to sell her when i moved to the states. ....the long lasting agony of not sitting on 2 wheels started at that very point...

fast forward - 10 years later. I'm looking for the one thing i used to know - a Concours, but couldn't locate one locally. at least not for a fair amount. it's incredible how much people expect to get for a Concours.

My 6 month research brought the 1KF to the foreground in many results, from reliability to cruising, engine, performance, upkeep, etc.
Ok, me thinks; i can't get a Conny, I get a Cane - sounds better anyways.

I exhausted just about all options, even found an '88 locally, but he wanted $3500 for it - ended up checking Craigslist in Minneapolis.
To my very surprise, there was one listed, buried in a lengthy advertisement of why the seller is selling car and bike together. Just in the last sentence he mentioned that he's willing to break them up.
I call - say i pay cash; how much do you want? "I'll take $1600 if you pay cash". At this time i heard the playing.

Off i went, 2 days later, cash in hand, driving the 250 miles to Minneapolis - it was March and it was f'in' cold.
I meet the guy, he starts her up, a 1990 Cane. Suddenly, he mentions that he also throws a color matching Joe Rocket jacket and gloves in! ($260 value right there)...and I play the sad fiddle, long drive, cold temps...would you take $1400?
We met square in the middle at $1500 greenbacks!
The long drive back, in chilling temps was a blast. I felt alive, the Cane is truly not a Conny. There's testosterone in the tank

250 miles later, my nuts frozen to the seat, if you're thinking "Dumb and Dumber" reference, you're almost there, I was home - but, ready for more!
Ever since, I've been putting almost 3k miles on her - on a bike that i bought for $1500 - $260 for coat & gloves = $1240 for the bike alone.

She runs like a charm, topped out at $168 mpH, is reasonable on gas, 50mpg on tours, and can hold with bikes by far younger than she is.

I think....I lucked out on this one

F.
Great story...Hell, I even read it twice. It is amazing how after riding a motorcycle only to stop for whatever reason, years can pass and the call has to be answered. Hope she meets your needs for years to come. Ride safe, JD

Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, that's clearly a fire extinguisher, for when it runs out of oil...............Hee Hee!!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Another great story that was FargAT ....

yup... mine still leave me a bit speechless too ...

This thread just keeps getting better ...keep the m coming guys ..

i rest my case......leave it somewhere safe for a day or two, then see if your mind is not on your cbr................................... ........then get back to me..................by the way, when i got her back gave her lots of polish and love and touches, in a sweet way obviously, cos i love her.............

Last edited by cbr_jim; 07-15-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive me for what I am about to say

I had thoughts of selling my cane a while back
(in my defence she was giving me the sort of aggro that only wives are supposed to dish out )
Anyway when I calmed down and sobered up I had a good hard look at what was out there. Like most people money is tight so that played a major part.
To get something capable of nigh 170mph, comfy touring, good looking, good handling, good brakes, good mpg, not going to depreciate, great build quality, cheap insurance..................
I rest my case, I have forgiven her

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?