CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryM
That don't sound right. Fronts normally outlast rears
My buddy who rides a Duc 900 Super Sport says the same thing. 2-1 front vs rear.

May be the difference between canyon racing and tour riding?

I have always worn out rears first, but I am heavy on the right hand, if you know what I mean

Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Update since the new plugs and oil change:

Cold starting with the iridium is 100% improved. It used to take full choke and 7-8 tries before the bike stayed running. Yesterday it started first time and idled great.

Rottela T6 made all the difference in the clutch feel. Clutch used to engage late for my tastes, now it engages right at the sweet spot and is smooth, smooth. PO said he had Mobile 1, but it was prolly cage oil, not MC.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Stripped out the back end yesterday. Rear tyre being fitted, rear brake to be stripped and cleaned .... and general clean up of the rear end is under way!

(It's really 'orrible under there but will be nice and clean by weekend!)

Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 AM

Received the stock seat and tail light I ordered off eBay yesterday and I am very surprised!

Seat isn't gray like it looked in pics, it's black and in great shape paid $40.00.
Tail light is in great shape as well, just needs a little polish paid $30.00.

I also got a factory service manual for $10.00 and an original owner's manual for $20.00.

I am loving eBay!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:36 AM

Indeed Ebay!

I got a lot stuff on there i was able to pick up a shock that the guy had put on auction, the shock had only 30k got it for 8$, i was quite surprised still need to install it.

Changed the oil yesterday in prevision of the new season...

Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Went for a 120 mile ride yesterday, nice loop through the highest point in Missouri, down a great road for bikes and back home on the four lane. No troubles, excellent ride and I can't wait to do it again.

Today I installed the tail light and seat I scored off ebay. The tail light was off a gray bike I guess, so I had to swap out the colored insert from my old one (white).

Installed the black seat and put the blue one away for special occasions.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Sav

Originally Posted by HenryM
That don't sound right. Fronts normally outlast rears.
If you got 5-10 mm of tread on your back tyre you'd probably be quite OK taking her off road. 10 mm of tread is unheard of. That's a knobbly..... he he

Let us know what tyres you go for. The subject has been done over and over but it's ALWAYS good to hear up to date experiences.
I hear Dunlop have brought out a new range which I'm going to look at for my next tyres in a couple of months time.
Maybe a bit off on the guestimations. Front's basicaly bald back is almost new. I do like to force it into corners which may account fo it. The front will "wobble" if I take my hands off the bars too. I've never worried about it as I've always had tons of grip.

I can't remember the brand of tyres but I think it's got Battleaxe somewhere in the name. I may have asked for softer tyres on the front last time too which may account for some of it. I generaly don't come back onto the power until I'm straightening back up either. (I've been up on the back while dangling too often)

Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 PM

Took all the plastics off and put them back on (looking for a leak that didn't exist) and listened to it run, and then gave it a shot of seafoam.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
Took all the plastics off and put them back on (looking for a leak that didn't exist) and listened to it run, and then gave it a shot of seafoam.
So a shot for the bike ! What was Joes shot ?

Good to see ya !

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 PM

Two Hiney's and a pizza.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?