CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Valve Adjustment

Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment

Hello all. I just adjusted my valves last night. I was getting some valve tap at lower rpms (maybe I just couldn't hear it up high) andon downshifts. I figured that sinceit hadn't been done since the factory, it was about due.

All went as well as can be expected, and itisn't really a bad job at all. It takes some patience and a few hours, but not nearly as bad as you'd think.
I checked the cam chain while I was in there (per shadow ) and there was maybe 1-2mm slack in it. I know there is supposed to be no slack, but i had to use a screwdriver (with plastic cover)to even move it that much, so I'd say that could just be slack in the links themselves? Wishful thinking, maybe...
Anyway, intake valves were almost all tootight, except for maybe 2. Exhaust valves were almost all good, a couple were tight, one was loose. I adjusted them all to take the correct thickness gauge, but so they wouldnot acceptthe next size bigger. It worked out pretty good to use the next size bigger gauge when adjusting, and then torque them, then recheck. Usually, I'd find that it would tighten them up just enough to be almost perfect. The bike now runs so much better. No tap on engine breaking or atlower rpms. So smooth.
I didn't actually think it would make a difference, so it was a pleasant surprise. Now. I guess it's time for a carb sync.
I did, however, manage to snap a valve cover bolt. [:@]
This really pissed me off considering I decided to torque them to spec and everything (worked on cars/trucks/vans etc. all my life and bought a torque wrenchfor this bike). Still snapped it. So if anyone has a spare one, I'd very much appreciate it!The hole is covered with electrical tape at the moment. Not good.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Valve Adjustment

Damn, that's rough luck...strange, breaking at under the spec torque setting - maybe metal fatigue ? I'll have a scratch through my spares bin and see what's available.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator - Retired

I know. I couldn't believe it snapped. Oh well.

I very much apprecate your bin diving for me. It looks like a pretty special bolt. I suppose I could probably just buy an M6, and use a washer? Might work?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi trout.

Wow. Talk about dejavu? I just did the same last week. Used a torque wrench also and snap!!! I was able to remove it and ordered a whole new set, so I have left over some bolts. You still interested?

Art

Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHAT ? Did you guys use the same torque wrench ? (set to KG's/cm2 ?) he he
Stroke of luck for you, Kilgore, having another member "bust a bolt" I didn't use a torque wrench (wrong, I know) but I must confess I thought the settings were too high - I used about 8-10ft lbs on mine with a ratchet wrench.
Hey Art, any advice on how to get the old bolt out.....?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

Oh yeah, Art, I'm definately interested. Would also like to hear how you got it out, like shadow said. I was just wondering the same thing. Thinking "this is gonna be a bitch"....
I set my clicker to 10lbs (120in/lbs)like the manual said, and snap!
Wrench can't be right...
Just let me know what you want for a couple of them (better get a spare if you don't mind).
That would be awesome!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 AM

Hi yah Shadow. Hi yah trout.

Ok first i thought it was only 7 lbs, but i was using a torsion bar torque wench and not a clicker... not sure what went wrong but snap ... lots lots lots of cursing...lol

ok for the removal.. used a device called Alden grabit. Saw it advertised on late night tv... for 10 bucks why not..

http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?g...hjA&bhcp=1

it didnt work like the commercial, but it very slowly started backing out. I think because the head broke and the tension was gone, that s why. Mine wasnt cross threaded. Hopefully trout yours isnt either.

Send me an email if you are still interested in the bolts at:alysk1@comcast.net. Let me know how it goes. Im just north of Chicago, so let me know where to send it, cool?

Good luck.

Art

Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator - Retired

Cool. I'll drop you a line on your email and a PM with my address. If you send me yours, I'll mail you a few bucks...

I was thinking of trying to use my craftsman screw extractors. Might work. I just don't want to end up with metal shavings in my head.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. This site must have had some serious issues here lately. Still not sure exactly what that was all about...

Anyway, I would very much appreciate the bolt/s, and I thank you much in advance.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 AM

The site here has been having some really serious issues but I thought it was just me. Maybe not. K, your extractors should work fine, just bore with the next size higher drill bit and bore as shallow a hole as you can make the extractor bite to. You may have already known that, but I figured I throw it out there.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yeah, devil, that's what I planned on doing.I think I'll just turn on my big shop vacuum to try and suck up any metal pieces before they fall. That was my big concern.