CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tyres and trips and tune-ups, Oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres and trips and tune-ups, Oh my!

Hey guys,

I am sitting here at work planning the first real biker trip for the wife (who got herself her licence and a little baby suzuki across about 6 months ago after she said "I'm not riding bitch" after I re-registered my hurricane...) and I thought of you guys.

awww...

Anyway here is the Google map I'm updating with the trip (hopefully this works!) snow - Google Maps .We have almost a fortnight off and family in Bathurst and Melbourne so we will visit both on the way. Trying to get around all the best roads in the NSW and Vic alpine regions while the weather is warm, but it's hard, dam there are some nice roads around there. Google maps makes it so much easier though, you can even zoom right in on satellite view and check if a road is bitumen or gravel

For some stupid reason she has her heart set on camping, so we'll pack a tent and some supplies, mostly though we'll be in cabins/hotels. Her little 250 isn't the best choice for touring and she is pretty green, so I have to keep the km per day short, also WE have enought ime so we will try to stop quite often on the mountains. If everything goes according to plan then I think each pin will be a nights stopover. (I'll fudge a few in the national parks so that we can stop in a 'real' campsite at least once to try to get that out of her system.)

So my attention has turned once again to the beast, giving her a tune up and some electrical mods. I think I will need some USB-style outputs to charge phones and things, I think I will finally get around to balancing the carbs this weekend as well, cause I have never done it.

If I have time I might even put on some highway (grandpa?) pegs on the front drop bars so I can stretch my legs out on the long sections (I'm only 31 I swear!) Anyone ever done this before? I think I'll try to mod my exhaust to give it some kind of gate or shutter so I can easily close off all the holes I drilled into the stock cans, I love the sound, but sometimes it overpowers my music and I'll be stuck on this thing for 10+ days!

As for my tyres, I noticed I rolled over 7000 K's on my Pilot road 3's the other weekend (and I did another 500 last weekend), they are holding up brilliantly. the soft edges are all torn up from the twisty stuff but the centre is still fine, as expected. No cupping or feathering, but i have been taking it much easier in corners last year or so, no real hard cornering or hard acceleration/braking. At a guess they are about half way through their lives? so somewhere around 14000+k's.

Pics
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6...81ca9c12_o.jpg
(I really should scrub off that arrow, it's laughing at me...)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6...81ca9c12_o.jpg

One thing though, I don't think it is a tyre issue, more of a suspension/bearing thing, the
rear end doesn't seem as planted as it was. The past 3 months or so I have noticed sometimes mid corner (even on slow, easy corners) the rear will squirrel a bit, feels like it might be slipping half an inch or so, then it's fine. I have banked it right over till my foot touched the ground and nothing, but then next corner, almost upright it will wiggle. It almost feels like a tar snake or a crack in the road the tyre follows for a split second.

Anyone ran into anything like this with the pr3?

Anyway I'm going to stop yapping and get back to my map, Later on I might even do some work, though I doubt it...

Tim.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you mention that about the PR3 - as it was the exact same impression (squishy)
I got when I rode a buddy's kawasaki 3 weeks ago and the reason I'm skipping out on
getting set this season - personally I attribute it to the amount of thread cuts and the
pattern too ------- just my personal opinion is all from having tried them out albeit it
on a different bike not a Hurricane

Don't worry tho' somebody is sure to have a differing opinion from mine here on them

Last edited by Sprock; 12-13-2011 at 07:00 PM.