CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

These temps can't be right

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These temps can't be right

So I finally get the replacement regulator for Electrosport, and I plug it in. Using some of the mods (heatsink compound, extra heavy ground cable) I'm showing almost 15v at the battery when revving it. I think, 'ok I can plug my high output lights back in (which is what killed the regulator the first time around)' So I plug them in and take the bike out for a ride. Other than almost getting sideswiped, and using the lights for 5 minutes not bad. I get home and immediately pull the seat off and touch the regulator: It's burning hot... can't be right.

Cliffs:

1. Replacement regulator arrives from Electrosport, apply heatsink compund and extra heavy ground cable
2. hook up high output driving lights
3. after 5 minutes of use over a 20 minute ride, the regulator is burning hot

4. have a Rick's Electrics OEM replacement ready if this one craps out on me

Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Default RE: These temps can't be right

Hell my stock Honda one was too hot to touch on occasions without extra accessories. I am sure its normal.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a maintance free battery? If NOT, and the battery is low on fluid it will also show a high voltage.

Maybe - and this is out on a limb - if a battery is weak the regulator is working extra hard to keep the battery up. Just a thought.

Otherwise sounds like you've done the right things - re: heatpaste and ground cable. Weird.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: woot

Is it a maintance free battery? If NOT, and the battery is low on fluid it will also show a high voltage.

Maybe - and this is out on a limb - if a battery is weak the regulator is working extra hard to keep the battery up. Just a thought.

Otherwise sounds like you've done the right things - re: heatpaste and ground cable. Weird.
I had a conventional battery before, and the fluid ran out on it. Thats what fried the original Honda regulator after 12 years. The new lights fried the first Electrosport regulator after 2 months (different design, with some small heat fins on it).

I just don't want to be out on the other end of the state and have the battery crap out on me because a part died. Been there, done that and have some weird stories to tell about it.

I'll probably just throw the Rick's OEM unit in there and modify a heatsink and fan to finish the mod that was posted earlier

Old 08-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M, all good ideas, on reg life big cable, dieelecric, sink, fan ... they run hot !!!!!!! i have considerd a duct / hose/ vent, from high pressure area... good adive about this subject, on the "saber/ magna owners forum" found on the web. if its any concilation alot of Suzuki's, have exactly the same probs. Ingenuity, the mother of invention !!!!!!!! Love to see some pyrometer temps, before and after the mods. I think it was a post on the sab/ mag forum, that after the aditonal sink / fan mods, he saw like a 40+ degree decreese, in reg temps. I agree, a good battery is key, also. Another key is to cleen and dielec, all connectors, mid 80's zooks are infamous for diffaculties contributed to oxidiezed connectors. A source, a friend of mine used for the fan, is a "computer" aplication... I don't know, if it worked just "wired up", or if there was "something" in between. Obviously only though the ignition ON circut. Good luck... and please, keep us posted on results. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 PM

Rippin, I used a heatsink of an old Intel Socket370 proccessor. I just cut one fin off width wise so it would fit flush on the regulator. I zipped tied the whole thing through the frame a couple of times. I'm still looking for a low profile heatsink so I can use a fan as well. As it is, I had to grind down one corner so it wouldn't rub against the inside of the rear cowl.