CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my 88 1k Cane the bike had suppertrapp slip on's and they were really loud. I rear ended a pick up truck last week and besides the forks being bent the right can was smashed. I am currently trying to make my own exhaust. I am planning on using the stock headers and I am going to make a fiberglass packed exhaust slip on. I am hoping it will be deep and kinda loud. The suppertrapp's were glass packed but the packed part was only 12" inches long and it was really loud. I am hopping mine will be a little quieter as I am making the packed part 16". I will let you know how it goes.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 PM

Well I did like IMO said, and I love it! they sound really good!!
Here's a vid I recorded to compare the sound of the stock vs. drilled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5WoFGj7ujw

Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a huge improvement Daniel , it sounds nice and fruity with the holes drilled and it looks good too

Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice vid, Dan!! I was hoping to see something like that. I might do slightly bigger holes and only do like 4 of them. Hmmm.
Yours sounds a good bit better.

Thanks for the video.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Nice vid, Dan!! I was hoping to see something like that. I might do slightly bigger holes and only do like 4 of them. Hmmm.
Yours sounds a good bit better.

Thanks for the video.
OK Dylan - I'm poised ready - drill in hand - but waiting on your video / sound track for the 4 hole version.....

Daniel - thanks for taking the time to post your video. Great work.

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 04-29-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Thanks Naga, that's easy, start with 4 small holes on each muffler, and start it up. If it's not enough, make them bigger, or drill more holes until you get the sound you like.

That's what I did, first started with 4 x 8mm holes on each, but still wasn't loud enough, then I drilled another set of 4 x 6mm holes and that's where I left it.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a good plan, Dan!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Always good to start smaller, I guess.

Naga, maybe I'll just sawzall the cans right off, who knows.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 PM

The mufflers on these bikes have a three stage baffle & a small resonator in the end cap. The baffles & cap are held in by spot welds which are visible from the outside. The exhaust gasses travel from the inlet chamber of the muffler along a tube to the end chamber by the end cap. Then back through another tube to the centre chamber & then through a tube & resonator out of the end cap. I removed one of my caps a Long time ago due to what I thought was a rattly baffle. Whilst the cap was off I drilled an exploratory hole through the rear baffle but just a waste of time & effort. Apparently there is a mod where you drill through the baffles but it must be done a a specific place but no one could tell me where it was. I have included two photos of the cap & muffler from behind minus cap (if it works). As expected lots of carbon & condensation because the bike hasn't been ridden for several months due to an accident.

Attached Thumbnails Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing-tmpphpd9jh7e.jpg   Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing-tmpphpeyyrv0.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 PM

That sounds great man, pretty much like how mine sound like.

The mufflers I have on the bike are aftermarket replicas, made by a local shop, so they have a slight difference in sound, I think yours sounds a bit better.

Quick Reply: Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing