CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing

Has anybody done these mods? With good results (no whistling noise etc.)? 1995 1kF

Loud pipes save lives...well i'm not really looking for loud, but just enough extra sound to let cars cruising next to me to notice i'm there. I do not want obnoxiously loud decibels.

Another thing is, I do not want to spend $400+ if it is not nessesary. I have access to a plasma cutter and welding equipment (and a powder coater!). I just wanted to get some advice or methods if anybody has experience with modifying our mufflers.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 PM

You can drill a series of holes around the end of the pipe. Mine was already like this and it sounds very nice. Deep and louder than stock. I'll try to attach a pic for you.

Attached Thumbnails Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing-9.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing, WhiteHawk.
I have stock pipes, and would like some extra noise. I often wish more people could hear me coming.
I don't want loud loud... just noticable, deep, and louder... without the price tag. I also can cut and weld.

Drilling holes seemed to work pretty good, IMO?

I'm just worried about screwing it up. I guess if I drilled holes, I could always just weld right over them. I already have black ceramic hi-temp paint..

Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo000, you don't happen to have any audio, do you?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies gents...Ill try the holes before I powder coat these cans and see how it sounds!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Since nobody here has done it, I guess it would be fun to cut them open and be the first.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Whitehawk, I think you can drill out the 3-4 rivets that are around the muffler caps, then just slide out the whole guts of the muffler. Would make repacking much easier

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 PM

hey i thought the same as you and i did drill the holes and i love the sound to death, my bike all a sudden sounds like an Italian sports car, its really nice

i just dont like the fact that i know the holes are there, plus i was told to make two holes in the actual pipe right befor the muffler. so more sound comes out, but like i said ... if you look up under it you can see holes, taky looking i think... but hey it to min and i paid no money. (i used a 5/8 drill)

Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by malbojah
Whitehawk, I think you can drill out the 3-4 rivets that are around the muffler caps, then just slide out the whole guts of the muffler. Would make repacking much easier
The 3 rivets are already drilled out on my left can and the baffle is not moving at all. This was probalby done when the previous owner drilled the other holes too. Something else must be holding the internals too and the 3 rivets are only secondary fastening points.

Sorry I don't have an audio file, but what do you have to loose by trying it? Try it and if you don't like it (I'm pretty sure you will) weld them shut.

Quick Reply: Stock mufflers - how to remove/mod baffles or packing