CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oil Light ON

Old 04-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Light ON

Ok first my oil bolt came out of the bike so I purchased a 12 / 1.5 standard bolt and a washer from the hardware store. did a complete oil change and now after that the oil light is now on it shut off for a few seconds and then came on full and wont shut off. oil level is good starts great I ran it for a few min too see if it would go off and now I hear a strange noise from the back side of the enigine. would a oil bolt being longer than the original be a problem.

By the way the bike was parked when i noticed the puddle of oil under it

Old 04-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Dennis,

If that's your only problem and that's the only change you made it is likely the culprit. However, are you sure you didn't dislodge the oil pressure sender lead? I think we need to know EXACTLY which bolt was replaced.

Can you show us a photo or locate the offending item on a fiche?

Cheers, SB

Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 AM

it is the bolt right under the oil filter there is a second bolt toward the back of the engine that was not touched.
I used synthetic oil 20-50 and a fram ph6017a filter

also a update I put washers on the bolt it is no longer to long the bike starts right away but is making a sweeking noise so i shut it down right away how can i tell if the oil pump is working or if there is flow ?

Last edited by Dennis Woytowitz; 04-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Does anyone have any idea what the oil tube look like inside the engine I think the bolt I put in may have damaged it I took the oil filter off and stuck something in to the hole and the lower part of the tube is blocked and the top part it open is this normal or is it been damaged byt the long bolt

Old 04-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Woytowitz
Does anyone have any idea what the oil tube look like inside the engine I think the bolt I put in may have damaged it I took the oil filter off and stuck something in to the hole and the lower part of the tube is blocked and the top part it open is this normal or is it been damaged byt the long bolt
Hi. Yes the oil tubes are quite thin and would not take much to damage, and they locate in their holes with an o ring. The tubes are also held in their position by some casting lugs on the inside of the sump. I suspect you may have either blocked an oil way with a bolt too long, or kinked the oil tube.
Its exhaust off job, then sump. Whilst you are at it, replace the balancer shaft rubbers, unless the engine is bugg@r3d.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 PM

I took the oil filter off and pushed a pipe into it it was smaller then the hole but it did help I can run the engine and it doesn't make any noise now on a higher idle but the light is still on and it still makes the noise after its been running at the normal idle so my best guess is that I kinked the tube. I am trying not to take it apart but I guess I may not have a Choice. I may try something just a bit smaller that the tube and try pushing it in. The worst thing I think will happen is that it breaks the tube and then I will have to take it apart anyway

Any Thoughts

Old 04-18-2016, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info I post some more info on the attempt to fix it

Old 04-21-2016, 08:03 AM

ok I have a noise coming from the top of the motor so it sound like no oil is getting up there.

Is there a oil strainer in the system they may be clogged.

I pulled the oil again and found small parts of leaves in it the best guess would be the got in during the time that the plug was off the bike possible it was dirt sucked in from riding it with out the oil plug.

Just guessing here or the oil I put in had something in it or the funnel I used.
what is the best way to get it out. and is there a strainer part

Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Woytowitz
ok I have a noise coming from the top of the motor so it sound like no oil is getting up there.

Is there a oil strainer in the system they may be clogged.

I pulled the oil again and found small parts of leaves in it the best guess would be the got in during the time that the plug was off the bike possible it was dirt sucked in from riding it with out the oil plug.

Just guessing here or the oil I put in had something in it or the funnel I used.
what is the best way to get it out. and is there a strainer part
Crikey. My memory is pretty hopeless re strainer, but I think there was one, even if there is, it will stop a large amount of debris ie bigger than 3 mm . Take the sump off , thats the only way you are going to find out.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 PM

ok does anyone know a video to show me how to get to the oil pump I dont want to start taking everything apart old bike dont want to remove thing that are not necessary