CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New tire advice

I put a plug in a rear from a kit like above. It lasted the life of the tyre (4000ks) with plently of regular 200kph plusspeeds without a problem.

If on the off chance the plug ever did come out it wouldn't explode. It would just slow leak. Modern tubeless radials rarely have sudden deflation.

The only time you can plug is it its a cut ond not a puncture and if its anywhere near the sidewalls.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 AM

It looks like a plug kit would be great thing to have as a road trip repair with some compressed air cans to get you home.
On the tire replacement, if you decide to dothe more permanant inside patch on the rear and save it, you want to be sure that the replacement front is of similar composition. Probably a radial on your 94 ride.
My 87 had bias-ply o.e.m., I thought about putting some Dunlop radials on when I changed them this spring but went with the Bridgestone BT045 sport tour and have beenhappy with price and performance.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:13 AM

I plugged a tire on my last bike (it was almost brand new) and put another 6,000 miles on the tire with no problems before I sold the bike. I used the cheap tire plug kit from an auto parts store that looks like the top picture R1000 posted. I always carry the plug kit and a can of fix a flat to re-inflate the tire if I get a flat on the road.

Slime makes a tire repair kit that includes a bottle of Slime (not sure if it's a good idea on a bike) and a really small 12v air compressor that'll fit in a tank bag for $30 or $40. that would be better than the fix a flat.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 AM

It can be done!!! and it last the life of the tyre no problem!!! Here is SA the tyres must last because it is dam expensive!!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice on this.

Here's a quick update. Two of the places I found open on Monday said they would NOT patch a tire. They only replaced them. The places that were not open I left messages with. After that I had called a friend that rides and who's opinion matters to ask why you couldn't patch a tire. He said bull, bring it over and he's patch it as he had the stuff at his house (similar to the photo's above). Which I did last night and everything seems to be just fine. A little more time on the tire and I'll able to claim complete success.

One of the guys that I left a message with called back and said he'd plug it. He charges $60 and he'd have it done for me the next day. I was thinking to myself that was a lot when a new tire was gonna be $135..... After talking to him for a little while he was expecting me to drop off the bike, not the wheel so it would only be half... but I had already taken care of the problem by then.

Seeing as how he took the time to call me back I'll give him a go when it's time to mount that new front tire, for the next service,inspection or whatever the bike needs next.

Thanks agian guys.....

Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 PM

I've been driving on a new set of BT021 today and have only good to say about them. They are very turn willing and have astable and good grip both rear and front. The rear is dual compound and the front has a fairly soft compound. I hope that those tyres are the ultimate stuff for sport-touring bikes; they are made to last andclaimed to have better grip in cold conditions than the Z6's. A follow up report will come later this year. If I was living in a warmer climate I would have stayed with the Z6's that last and are almost as grippy as the best sport tyres.