CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tire advice

Hello all.....

I've come to the point where I need to replace the front tire. Well, it isn't worn out so I could continue to use it but the prior owner had allowed the pressure to get low and contiuned to ride it which cupped the tread somewhat. Or at least that's what I think caused it. Anyway, the bike has about 11,000 miles on it and I'm curious what's out there that should eb considered.

I use the bike (94 CBR1000F) to commute to work and an occasion ride around town. I'm not into going out and seeing how quickly I can get from point A to point B. I mention that as I'm not looking for ultimate performance. I do want a good performing tire that will give decent grip and decent mileage.

So, what tire should I be looking at? Will it matter if I only replace the front as the rear was replaced right before I bought the bike and should last a little while longer.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Default RE: New tire advice

I would go for the new Michelin Pilot Road II for the use you decsribe. Today it is the tire that has the least wear per mile and it is also grippy in corners due to dual compund. It is also the best wet-tire among the standard tires.

There is probably plenty in stock of the previous version, Pilot Road, which is a very good touring tire that will last and has superior wet-grip.

Michelin know to get paid for their tires, so they can be expensive compared to other brands. Other top tires that will last and still have very good grip is the Metzeler Z6, and the new Bridgestone BT021 that have come on top in recent German test. I'm about to mount a set of BT021 on my Blackbird that is used as a commuter. I'll report my findings later. The first impression just seeing them in the garage is that they are sturdy and could take a lot of abuse from bad roads. The other impression is that the surface is a little hard compared to softer tires that I'm used to. The Metzeler Z6 compound is about as sticky as the best sport tires; it may be a better tire than the BT021. The only thing I don't like with the Z6 is that they are a little slippery in cold climate, which it can be here quite often.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/29CEB2EF90054AFAA9B929CC488DBCA9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Ok, here's another tire question..... I went to move my bike and realized the rear tire was flat. Upon returning home and being able to spend some time looking at the bike it was a screw dead center of the rear tire...... can this be plugged or am I now looking at two new tires?

Old 06-02-2007, 07:36 PM

It can be plugged

Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Ok R1000, it's not that I don't believe. Trust me, I want to. But the two places that I've called won't plug a tire, they want to sell me a new tire.

Has anyone else had a tire plugged?

Is it a bad idea?

How did you find a place to do it?

Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM

I've done it myself but it has to be done with common sense. If the tire is worn and more prone to get punctures it is better to buy a new tire. In case is a fairly new tire and the damage is limited, like a little hole from a spike, it can be plugged at own risk. It is the same here in Sweden; the tire shops normally don’t repair tires on high performance vehicles. On slow vehicles they just put in an inner hose that cannot be done on a fast motorcycle due to the added heat built up.

It is even not easy to buy a DIY repair set. I have one in the car and one in each motorcycle. The primary reasons are to be able to move on, and not have to leave the bike or call for a costly trailer.

I'm also interested to hear others opinions about this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/216D4D0619C744AC8CA09A9C0B33081A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/14AC2017F237482E8BEE757084E5CE62.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM

My tyre was plugged when I bought it, apparantly the rules are different depending on your country. In the UK there are regulations regarding where on the tyre the hole is, and the sides cannot be plugged.

I am perfectly happy to ride with this repair, It may result in the tyre having to be replaced earlier than normal which is a shame but I have no worries about the strength or durability of the repair.

R1000 I like the idea of the repair kits you carry, I will keep my eyes open to get one when I'm at the bike shows this year, It could be very useful.

Cheers,

Rob

[IMG]local://upfiles/9282/C494EEF3FE934B78A3C211CC85C4BEAA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM

I had a flat rear tire last summer so I took it to bike service shop, and there the owner (ex-racing rider) said he would never use those plugs as a permanent solution.They're good for repairing on the road, but can loose or some even drop off after a while when riding at highway speeds or above.

Instead, I repaired my tire by removing it from the rim and taking it to car tire shop. They repaired it by glueing a patch to inner side, looked pretty much the same as bicycle tire repairing patches, but obviously much stronger stuff. They assured I wouldn't be able to rip that patch off with a knife, so I think it's safe way to fix your tire. At least I have no problems with it after 4000km's / 2500 miles.

Total cost for that operation was around 8 euros /10USD, so much cheaper than buying a new tire.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM

The insert tool is quite clever, I remember seeing this used in tyre shops when I was young during the Flinta period. The rubber strip is hanged over the end of the tool with the two ends directed backwards. Then thefolded strip is glued and pressedinto the tyre. The tool is open at the end and whenpulled out there will be a loop insidewhichsecures the rubber strip from going out. Since it is glued and also made of quite soft rubber and also covered with some realsticky substance, it will not be pressed into the tyre in case it is e.g rolling over a small stone.

Another method, which requires removing the tyre, is to use a mushroom plug that is mounted from inside.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 PM

You can get the tyre repair kits at 4wheel drive shops or truck tyre outlets. Good to get you home orwear the tyre out local not made for high speed

Quick Reply: New tire advice