General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire advice?

I need a new rear tire for my CBR1000F Hurricane, but the front tire still has 50+% tread life left. They're currently mismatched radials (Michelin up front, something else out back). The local bike shop tells me the match to the front Michelin is no longer available.

I'm a semi-agressive street rider, and I'd like to do a couple track days this summer, but I don't want some super-sticky race tires that are only good for a few thousand miles. Also, I live and ride up in the Northwet, so something decent on wet pavement is a must.

Questions:

1. Bias ply Vs radial: what are the pros and cons of each?

2. How important is it to match front & rear? Obviously I wouldn't want to mix bias ply with radial, but if I stick to one or the other front & rear am I OK with mixed brands/styles?

3. In a situation like this, would you guys typically go with new front & rear, even though that front has lots of tread left?

4. Any other words of wisdom on tires for this bike?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Tire advice?

I wear my tires out in an even fashion... the front goes with the rear.

I just helped my neighbor install Pirelli Diablo Stradas and he loves them. They are extend mileage and still have a Z rating. I'll borrow/test ride his bike and see how they do after he finishes breaking them in. It's a 2002 R6 so I should be able to test them a little .

Bias ply Vs radial... click here and the answer is obvious. Radials

One of the cheapest with fast shipping I've found is American Motorcycle Tires

Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM

General rule of thumb is you should keep the tires matched front to rear or rear to front. I only run the pilot power or diablo corsa.
i only use what i have trust in. don't trust your tire you'll never run hard

Old 04-19-2006, 10:42 PM

i have a dunlop 208z front and a mpp rear and they work fine together. same thing front tire has about 50% tread left so why waste the money on a new tire. I do alot of agressive canyon riding, on my last ride i ruined a pair of lugs boots from rubbing them across the pavement on almost every corner, so yes mixed tires are fine as long as they are good tires.

i wouldn't mix a touring tire with a sport tire though...

Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 AM

Always match tyres, especially if your going to track them. Radial wins everytime for better tyre performance. I always buy pairs on account of it working out cheaper anyway.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 AM

I was doing some research on tires about a week ago because i needed some BAD!! and everyone pretty much agreed that Pilot Powers were the best choice. I ended up getting the Pilot Sports which are also extremely good tires and supposed to have a good life on 'em, but i think the Pilot Powers are better for those who are going to do a few track days (If i remember corractly I could be wrong).