CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Leaking fuel union fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking fuel union fixed.

The fuel union between the right pair of carburetors (#3-#4) started to develop a very slow leak. If would be enough to drip every 30 sec. This doesn't seem much but when the bike is stitting, it woudl fill the valley of the block with raw fuel. Took a whiel to figure out exactly what was leaking. It turned out that the fuel union (brown T shaped plastic fuel line) had a harline crack that went passed the O ring into the #4 carburetor. Since I finally figured out that this was not a rubber fuel line leak, I tried to fix it by using a 2 part epoxy (it was Sunday so the dealer was closed anyways). Even baked it in the oven but the "ghetto" fix did not work. I will post pics later to show the failed experiment. The interesting and frustrating part was that the leaking fuel would traven up vertically then, leak down the side of the two carburetors.

After the failed "baking experiment", I decided to order a new fuel union. Took the dealer two attempt to get the right part as first they ordered the air union (smaller but same dia. O rings, black T shaped fitting). The proper part finally came in last Friday. As I had a family function to attend over the weekend, I didn't have time to touch the bike till tonight.

Removal of the carbs, for the 6th time, was routine and univentfull. The replacement of the fuel fitting was easy too but for that, the #4 (last one on the right) had to be seperated from the others. The new T fitting came with new O rings and they seemes to fit into the carbs a little tighter than the old ones. I lubricated the O rings to prevent damage and after running the bike up to operating temp, the leak was nowhere to be found.

Looks like I must have cracked the original T union when the carbs were first put back into the engine and with all vibration from running the engine (to do shake down tests) must have made the crack long enough to get passed the O ring.

The good news is that the part is only $40 and Honda still had one in stock. The bad part is that the packaging looked old (the plastic bag had a yellow tint to it). So I'm nto sure if this part is still made by Honda or if it was just NOS (New Old Stock) left over from the last batch.