CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

leaky fuel rail??(fixed!) loud noise after?? (fixed that too!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky fuel rail??(fixed!) loud noise after?? (fixed that too!!)

I am leaking fuel from the T on the fuel rail (right where the line connects) and it seems to be coming from the shorter side of it where it connects to the carb. looking at them from above it would be the left side of the T. so I thought, nothing to it, just replace the o-ring. did that, and it still leaks! is there a trick to getting the o-ring to seat right? I cant see any cracks. was doing fine, but I took out the carbs to replace the cct, now it leaks. ANY thoughts are appreciated, I really want the bike back on the road! season is winding down!!! HELP!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Default RE: leaky fuel rail??

when installing the O ring, use an OEM O ring, and lubricate it with something such as motor oil to ease installation into the carb body. I suggest motor oil simply because it wont affect the carbs negatively when it comes in contact with fuel, most other substances I've no experience with.

other than this, I cant really think of anything, short of a crack in that T part that may be causing the leak.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Registered Users

Did you take the carbs apart at all? It sounds like your floats might be stuck or maybe a fuel stop valve needs to be replaced.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered Users

Actually, never mind. lol I was thinking of the other T for the carb overflow. What condition are the hoses in? The O-Ring could have folded up in the opening when you installed the T. You can get a small screw driver and try gently seating the O-Ring before installing the T.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:39 AM

i had this same problem. it turned out that the T (its called a joint), had dryrotted or something and was in bad shape right around where the o ring connects to the short end of the joint. I replaced it and the problem is solved. no more fuel leak and the bike runs great.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 AM

all good hints. I checket the joint, looks to be in good shape. I will try using some mystery oil to get the ring to seat well. if I cant get it to stop I will order a new joint and see what happens there. any other ideas? thanks a lot guys! dying to get it running again!!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you have the carbs apart? Its possible there is corrosion inside the slot on the carb. check that and just take some sandpaper and stick er in there and twist it around, corrosion and rubber dont mix very well. That or are you sure the t is in there right? Mine did that when i reassembled them, but my t wasnt in correctly, I turned the t and it almost seemed to lock into place.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:26 PM

well I found the problem. it was a cracked fuel joint. all fixed! so I put the carbs back on, minus the air box and fire it up to test. it runs great and no leaks! well thats good, so I put it all back together and fire it up again to take it for a test run... no I have a loud clacking coming from somewhere up front. damndamndamndamn. now I will take abreak and maybe try again later. just my luck. oh and the noise I was trying to get rid of with the new cct is still there, in addition to the new noise. should have left well enough alone!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you replaced the clutch basket lately? set valves? exhaust leak?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 PM

the clutch is noisy, but its not the noise I *WAS* hearing. I think it was a sticky valve or something... out of curiosity I poured some liquid magic down the carbs while it was running (marvel mystery oi ROCKS!!!) and it quieted right down. took it for a ride and it seemed to work itself right out and the motor is smoother than it has been since I have had it! amn I love that stuff! this winter I plan to redo the clutch and do a good set on the valves, just for peace of mind. checked the valves last year and they were withing tolerance. thanks for all the help guys, felt GREAT to have it back together, although I think the jetting needs to be more rich. seems to surge on the highway at 55 mph

Quick Reply: leaky fuel rail??(fixed!) loud noise after?? (fixed that too!!)