CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I've got a bad feeling...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike chit man..........ya got the chit covered and the fly is in on it ........awesome !

Dude PM me, we gotta talk

Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michealparks

1 - Clutch friction plates and springs. Steel plates look good. Flushing clutch line.
2 - Reg/rec, main wiring harness, rear lights harness, battery & fuses
3 - Cam chain, tensioner, guides, & gasket
4 - Oil change - Just because (hell I gotta drain the oil anyways)
5 - Drilling out and replacing a couple of broken screws
6 - Carb sync
Just a quick update all...... after about 10hrs of work its all (mostly) done. She is running like a dream.

Somethings when well and very easy, some when a little rougher and complicated than expected, and a couple new problems arose that were completely new and unrelated to the repairs we had to address I'll post pics as I get them off of my phone and camera as I can. All in all she runs like a dream now!

Most of the rattle had drastically subsided. There is still a little rattle going on and it sounds like valves. Not a huge deal we are going to tackle it next week.

1 - Clutch & springs - Went PERFECT! NO issues, clutch was VERY worn almost down to metal. It goes into 1st so EASY now its like its no even there. It use to "CLUNK" real harshly especially cold. A funny thing also resolved and it could have been clutch or the electrical issues...

When in Neutral the light on the dash would light and while in gear,moving it would go just light like it should. However each time I pulled in the clutch in gear the Neutral light on the dash would light up (ever time i shifted basically). Now it only lights when in Neutral so "finding" it is a lot easier!

2 - Reg/rec, main wiring harness, rear lights harness, battery & fuses - Rec /rec wired in very easily. Only issue was the Factory bolts for the Factory reg/rec are too short for the replacemet RR23 from electrex. Maybe they should include longer bolts in the kit? No biggie we had longer ones and made it work and it looks great.

Wiring harnesses went flawlessly. We did find some more "special rigging" by my previous abuser that the harness replaced. Some nice work. I'll get pics up. Replacing the entire harness was a real good call this time. We replaced all fuses too just to do it.

3 - Cam chain, tensioner, guides, & gasket - Went fairly well. All guides and tensioner went in perfectly. Running the chain through gave us a small fit and riveting the new chain gave us a little hassle but it wasn't too bad. Like everyone else timing gave us a bit of a fit. Like others it seemed like we kept coming up a tooth short, then about a 1/2 tooth. At the 1/2 tooth point we called it good.

The biggest snag we hit was when the chain routed through we came up about 3 links short. Talk about heart breaking. Thought they sent the wrong chain - too short. After brainstorming a bit, we realized the tensioner was open all the way and making it short. We had to put tension against the guide to release the tension from the tesioner and we had all the slack we needed.

4 - Oil Change - Piece of cake.

5 - Drilling & Replacing - NO prob!

6 - Carb Sync - Did not get to it. Here's the new problem we had to tackle. The carbs started PISSING gas all over when we ran it. We got it and she's all better, but I'll put it in a new thread....

Pics and vids to come!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear it, Micheal!! Sounds like everything went rather well. I bet you feel a good bit better now, too...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Well done Michael , impressive list of work , 10hrs sounds good to me , probably take me 10 days

Read your other thread about the carbs too , glad you got it all sorted and she's ready to go for many thousands of miles now!!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike sync the carbs tune her up good most of the remaining rattle will go away.
The oil pump drive chain (untensioned) is probably the residual rattle you hear. normal
evens out and lashes around alot less when she's tuned and synced up good

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yep, a sync can help a lot...

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sprockaholic
Mike sync the carbs tune her up good most of the remaining rattle will go away. The oil pump drive chain (untensioned) is probably the residual rattle you hear. normal evens out and lashes around alot less when she's tuned and synced up good
Sprocky will do. Come to think of it, it sounds low in the motor. I'll put up a vid soon of the sound. I've got it ready, just sorting through pics.... A quick look at the cutch.

1 - A VERY BAD PIC from my cell phone. They looked perfect vs the pic....
2 - Clutch plates or whats left
3 - Clutch basket minus 1 bolt / spring.

Attached Thumbnails I've got a bad feeling...-1.jpg   I've got a bad feeling...-7.jpg   I've got a bad feeling...-5.jpg  

Last edited by michealparks; 11-06-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: 2 JD's
Old 11-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Last of the pics I'll bog you guys down with....

1 - Intake cam is out

2 - A look at the cradle for the cam and press plates to the valves, nice and smooth

3 - Pins almost out

4 - Attaching the new chain

5 - The new chain meets up after taking the slack out of the tensioner

Attached Thumbnails I've got a bad feeling...-17.jpg   I've got a bad feeling...-16.jpg   I've got a bad feeling...-11.jpg   I've got a bad feeling...-8.jpg   I've got a bad feeling...-6..jpg  

Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GREAT STUFF MICHAEL !!
Now YOU can write the how to..............hehe

Old 11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator - Retired

Shadow's right, you know... (for once)

Dam nice lookin' motor, though, micheal!

Quick Reply: I've got a bad feeling...